Canadian Albacore Association Financial Statements

Jason Roth jason.roth at rogers.com
Tue Aug 29 20:21:32 EDT 2006

Hello again, Albacore sailors.

First, let me start by thanking all of you who took the time to
respond to my first e-mail on this subject. I appreciate the kind
words, and the open sharing of opinions.

I would like to update you on the progress of these discussions over
the past week or so.

There has been a 4th suggestion made by several members, one which I
believe bears additional scrutiny.

In lieu of an audit (or a review) by an external accounting firm,
some not-for-profit organizations use a "finance committee" to do
such a review (and more).

The finance committee would be separate from the executive. Other
than the treasurer, no one from the executive will be allowed to sit
on the Finance Committee. The treasurer would be an ex-officio member
of the finance committee. There would be (at least) 2 members of the
finance committee elected from the membership by the members at an AGM.

The role of the finance committee would be to examine the books and
records of the association to ensure that the financial goals of the
association are being maintained - that the investment decisions are
in line with maintaining the safety of the reserve funds, and that
the executive is spending the association's money wisely.

The finance committee would provide a draft report to the executive,
and full report to the members at least once per year.

The finance committee would also be asked to evaluate if there are
opportunities for improvements in the operation of the CAA, and would
be requested to include any such opportunities in their annual report.

I am 100% in favour of this approach, as I feel it offers the
membership at least some measure of security as to the accuracy of
the financial statements. In addition, it adds more value than an
audit by not just ensuring the financial statements are accurate, but
also that the (financial) goals of the CAA are being maintained.

So, I will be recommending the following motions at the AGM:

1) That the members accept the 2005 Unaudited Financial Statements as
presented and reported on at the AGM (this is as it has been for the
past few years, except that the statements are not being audited for
the 2005 year).
2) That the members approve the creation of a Finance Committee, and
that the Finance Committee be requested to examine the books and
records of the CAA and report back to the members at least once per
year.
3) That 2 members in good standing of the CAA be elected to the
Finance Committee at the AGM.

I have had one member already volunteer to be nominated to that
committee (thanks Alan!). If anyone else is interested, please let me
know and I will ensure that your name(s) are included at the AGM for
acceptance by the members.

If you are strongly opposed to the above motions, please let me know
by e-mail at your earliest convenience. This is not a "speak now or
forever hold your peace" request - this matter can only be properly
accepted by the members (one way or the other) at the AGM. I ask you
to voice your opposition now so that we can all hear your concerns,
and so that they can be discussed, and hopefully resolved, prior to
the meeting.

In all honesty, I'm trying to save myself 12 hours of driving in one
day. I will not be able to sail at the Canadians this year due to
other commitments on the Saturday and Sunday - and will only drive up
for the AGM if there remains significant resistance to this matter.
If people are generally accepting of the above approach, I will
provide my report in writing for one of the (attending!) executive
members to present on my behalf.

Thanks again for your consideration of these important matters.

I wish you all happy sailing.

Kind regards,

Jason