Spring?

Teresa Miolla tmiolla at primus.ca
Thu Mar 1 09:59:19 EST 2007

Hey Sailors..

It came so quickly, my heart skipped a beat.was spring here already? No it
was the old fake out but it didn't stop me from having a look at "Beaver
Tales" and dreaming of things to come.

Our executive has been busy planning, organizing and discussing all things
Albacore.  Thanks to Henry and all the volunteers who helped man the booth
at the boat show in January.  This is a great opportunity for member clubs
to obtain new members at no cost to them. Allan has organized and posted the
regatta schedule on the website (www.albacore.ca).  There are a number of
great regattas planned; particularly the Ontario's which will be hosted by
Sail Parry Sound at their new facility which should be complete by the time
we arrive.  The jewel in the crown is, of course, The Internationals being
held at West River Sailing Club in glorious Galesville, Maryland on the
Thanksgiving weekend. This is great opportunity to meet Albacore sailors
from around the world.  The Brits (rumour Michael McNamara, Neville Hebert,
Jean Simmons) have a container organized, to ship their boats.  There is no
excuse for not travelling to these events, there are many unused trailers
available and if you need a crew or skipper we can help!!  So mark a few
"travellers" in your schedule.  Sandy has been busy with another Canadians
Regatta, which will be raced here in the Outer Harbour.  We are providing
billeting so again no excuses to attend this event!!  Stephanie has
organized 2 training weekends in preparation for the Internationals; there
are deadlines, qualifications and limited number of spaces which you can
read about on the enclosed flyer.  There is also a Women's Boat Handling
Seminar, hosted by yours truly and other women from the Outer Harbour,
focusing on confidence building, boat handling skills and discussion on
shore.  You don't have to come as a team; we will rotate people around and
open to both skippers and crew. It's free but you have to be an associate
member of the CAA.  Which brings us to Janet's membership drive, please see
enclosed flyer.  Once again a huge thank you to Quantum Sails who have
donated a jib for our draw, full and associate members are eligible for the
draw so sign up today its easy on-line.  While you are on our website, check
out the forum, ask a question, solve a problem or just get caught up on the
local "stuff" and if you're not already on the albacore mailing list do it
now so you don't miss any notices and important information, its all free
and well organized by our gang.

On a sad note, one of the founding members of the CAA (1961) Don Giffin,
passed away on December 31, 2006.  Don was an avid sailor and volunteer
dedicating many years of service to the Canadian Yachting Association.
Anyone who has completed a White Sail Class probably has one of the two
books he authored: Basic and Advanced Sailing Skills. Donations can be made
in his honour to Canadian Yachting Association or Alzheimer's Society of
Canada.  In an effort to preserve his memory the CAA will be rededicating
one of our trophies in his honour.

On the lighter side the albacore class continues to grow, our latest
addition is Cristiano, the proud parents Warner (Monte) Monterio and Sonia
McCauley.

Now back to planning for the Midwinter's, do I take my shortie wetsuit or a
bathing suit? The 50 SPF or the illegal 2 SPF baby oil that Sandy usually
wears? Shall I camp as close to the ocean as I did last year, or shall I be
smarter and set up the tent in a sheltered area? What if we get those
tornado warnings we got a few years ago?  Maybe I better take some gloves
and worry about the bruises and tan lines later!

Ready to go,

Teresa Miolla

Commodore

Canadian Albacore Association

www.albacore.com

Contact us at;

*	Commodore
Teresa Miolla	 E-mail: teresa at albacore.ca

*	Past Commodore
Ann Savege	 E-mail: ann at albacore.ca

*	First Vice Commodore
Allan Measor	 E-mail: allan at albacore.ca

*	Second Vice Commodore
Henry Pedro	 E-mail: henry at albacore.ca

*	Third Vice Commodore
Stephanie Mah	 E-mail: stephanie at albacore.ca

*	Specifications Chair
David Weaver	 E-mail: david at albacore.ca

*	Editor - Shackles & Cringles
Christine Short	 E-mail: christine at albacore.ca

*	Membership
Janet Duff	 E-mail: janet at albacore.ca

*	Treasurer
Jason G. Roth	 E-mail: jason at albacore.ca

*	Chief Measurer
George Roth	 E-mail: georoth at golden.net

*	Secretary
Cathy Ann White	 E-mail: cathyann at albacore.ca

*	Rear Commodore
Sandy Swiatlowski	 E-mail: sandy at albacore.ca

Deadlines:

April 2-8 to register for Training Session.....Steph Mah

April 30 reduced membership fee.....Janet Duff

Next Shackles & Cringles Edition, articles, ideas......Christine Short

Next Regatta:  Midwinter's, Sarasota Florida, March 23-25