Sailing news as it happens - Yachts and Yachting Online

Short, Christine christine.short at bmonb.com
Fri Oct 26 11:22:50 EDT 2007

Not sure who sent this in to s'butt.........but   BIG SHOUTS TO WHOMEVER DID !!!    Bravo and thank you!

Christine

The UK's top performance sailing magazine <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/> 	 Garmin <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/main/banner.asp?Banner=260>
Home <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/>  | Clubs <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/clubs/>  & Classes <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/classes/>  | Calendar <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/calendar/>  | Crew <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/members/>  | Forum <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/>  | Community <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/community/>  | Photos <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/>  | Sail.TV <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/sailtv/>  | Weather <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/weather/>  | Advertisers <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/advertisers/>  | Classifieds <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/classifieds/>  | Jobs <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/recruitment/>  | Shop <http://yachtsandyachting.com/shopv51/>  | Subscribers <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/subscriber/>  | Contact Us <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/main/>
Type in a keyword

Choose a section to search
Calendar by classCalendar by clubCalendar by eventClassesClassifiedsClubsForumNews articlesPhotographsShop productsSubscriber Club
Then press 'Search'

Garmin Speed Freaks
Garmin
Speed Freaks League 2007 <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/>

 <http://www.garmincompetitions.co.uk/speedfreaks/>

1 : 2414 points
Franco, 22.2 knots in a Albacore

2 : 2241 points
StuartCBrown, 20 knots in a Blaze

3 : 2148 points
Will Lee, 20.4 knots in a Cherub

4 : 2140 points
Iain C, 19.95 knots in a Cherub

5 : 2128 points
Paul Croote, 20.02 knots in a Cherub (Cheese Before Bedtime)

6 : 2091 points
J Bennett, 21.2 knots in a 59er

7 : 2038 points
James Lavery, 15.87 knots in a RS Feva

8 : 2004 points
Brad, 21.63 knots in a 12 foot Skiff

9 : 1934 points
Pierre, 22 knots in a Hobie 14 Turbo

10 : 1859 points
gbr652, 17.5 knots in a Contender

Another chance to win a Garmin Sat Nav

Enter Garmin's free prize draw! <http://www.garmincompetitions.co.uk/speedfreaks/>
Speed Freaks 2007
Speed Freaks 2007 <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/>

Think you're fast on the water?
Then prove it!
Enter the 2007 Garmin Speed Freaks competition! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=1>

This year, to iron out 'peak' speeds, your entry must be over a distance of at least 50 metres. Please send in a photo of your GPS track to show this.

There will be trophies for the winners in each category, plus the overall winner will be given a Garmin nüvi satellite navigation system.

The competition closes on Friday 16th November 2007. All entries will be examined and handicaps will be applied to ensure any advantages or disadvantages of each type of boat are cancelled out.

Click here to enter! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=1>

Dinghy Chart: (top 5, click here for the full dinghy chart <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=5&c=1> )

Pos	 Entrant	 Boat Type	 Speed	 Handicap	 Story Rating (out of 10)	 Score	 Photo
1	 Franco <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Franco> 	 Albacore	 22.2 knots	 1066	 2	 2414	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=154>
Sailing out to the race course on the penultimate day of the Internationals. Shame we did not have the GPS on board for the Friday, the racing was canned for too much wind. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=154>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=154>

2	 StuartCBrown <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=StuartCBrown> 	 Blaze	 20 knots	 1047	 7	 2241	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=129>
13 Blazes entered the wet and windy Bala Blaze Open on 12-13 May, despite the forecast.

On the Saturday, race 3 was probably force 4 gusting 5 and there was a lovely reach across the lake. With a steadier wind than we are used to at Burghfield, one could commit to sitting right back and out on the racks and if one could see where one was going through the spray, playing the waves was great fun.

The maximum speed recorded on the GPS was 20.7 knots but highest average speed recorded was 23 mph (20 knots) over 401 ft.

The event was won by recently re-crowned National Champion Mike Lyons and I managed to come second, narrowly beating Nick Miller into third place and local Blazer Ken Hull was 4th. Thanks to all at Bala for organising a great event.

Full results and details with lots of photos can be found at www.blaze-sailing.org.uk <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=129>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=129>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=129>

3	 Atum Bom (Will Lee) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Atum Bom> 	 Cherub	 20.4 knots	 975	 8	 2148	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=149>
We went to the Cherub French Nationals to support our growing French Fleet. The French laid on superb sailing the whole time we were there, especially the first day.

In race 1 it was sunny and windy enough to be going well, but not so windy as to be capsizing (much) - about 16 knots I should think. We held our place in the pack and tacked off for clear air once we had a lane. We approached the windward mark ok and hoisted for the short run to the bottom. This was quick, but not as quick as what was to come.

At the bottom there were so many boats from other fleets stirring the air and water up that we hit the hardest of corners up the beat and overstood by miles. We came screaming in (bit more wind by this time) and hoisted for one of the best downhill trips we've ever had. There was a gust half way down which pushed our speed (sustained over 50m) to 20.4 knots. It was bouncy, noisy and wet as we got low-level air off the waves and then landed with a bang and short burst of pore-opening spray, but we got to the bottom ok, I think dropping for the tighter reach to the finish.

We won that race and had a little while to recover before the next one....

Click here to view the whole track <http://www.sailingsource.com/cherub/GPSAR/gpsar.php?filename=Carnac-20070909c.gpx> . <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=149>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=149>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=149>

4	 Iain C <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Iain C> 	 Cherub	 19.95 knots	 975	 10	 2140	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=127>
My crew (Tom Vian) and I had been looking at the forecast all week and things were looking promising for an assault on the Speed Freaks League. We prepared ourselves mentally & physically the day before, eight pints of Tiger in the pub, a kebab, several rounds of raspberry sambuca, a few WKDs just to make sure, oh, and a nightclub may have been invovled at some point (not big or clever... sail safe kids!).

We had an early night (about 3am) and also spent at least several minutes the next morning on boat preparation, gaffer taping lots of broken things in place and pulling on the perfect amount of rig tension with the aid of some borrowed club patio furniture for extra leverage. We also emptied the tanks of water on the slipway, making a significant difference to the depth of Draycote's 700 acres of water.

Forcing one last bacon butty and a paracetomol each, we hit the water. We were at the very back of the racks, kite up, on the trapeze knots, crossed over and locked in, which was very confusing when we looked at our feet as we'd made the schoolboy error (again) of wearing identical boots and wetsuits. Anyway, the big gust came, and when we opened our eyes again we'd cracked the 20 knot barrier (although 19.95 over the required 50m), not bad for an 11'9" boat originally built in 1989 (yeah I know it's supposed to be 12', obviously no-one had heard of "measure twice, cut once" back then...) and then modified with a fine variety of scrap pieces of carbon!

We reckon we could have had more speed out of her however the dam wall was getting very close and we were concerned about possibly going straight through it and flooding several Warwickshire villages, a very real risk for the "heavy winds optimised" setup of boat and lardy sailors!

Editor's story notes:
I'm over the moon - this is what we wanted to see! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=127>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=127>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=127>

5	 Duracell Bunny (Paul Croote) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Duracell Bunny> 	 Cherub (Cheese Before Bedtime)	 20.02 knots	 975	 9	 2128	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=146>
My crew (Ed Higham) and I turned up to the Chew Valley Sailing Club today (2 September 2007), expecting a moderate wind and some leisurely club racing (if you can describe any Cherub sailing leisurely). It picked up steadily until by mid afternoon it was about 15-20 knots with some big gusts and shifts thrown in.

Racing was getting pretty hairy as the different courses set for various handicaps made it seem like every mark on the lake was being used. The crossovers in the middle of the lake reminded me of a Red Arrows display. We gave up on the racing before we made a topper/laser/solo kebab on the bowspit and thought we would find a quietish bit of lake and have a go at the Garmin Speed Freaks League.

Most of the runs were around 17 to 18 knots but we did get some well-timed gusts late afternoon. Once we broke the 20 knot barrier we thought it would be a good time to go before we broke something else! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=146>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=146>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=146>

Multihull Chart: (top 5, click here for the full multihull chart <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=5&c=2> )

Pos	 Entrant	 Boat Type	 Speed	 Handicap	 Story Rating (out of 10)	 Score	 Photo
1	 h14turbo (Pierre) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=h14turbo> 	 Hobie 14 Turbo	 22 knots	 814	 8	 1934	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=138>
I was sailing my Hobie 14 Turbo off the south west coast of Ireland, a few miles north of Mizen Head and the Fastnet Rock. It was Force 5 to 7. It was pretty scary, the boat has a tendency to pitchpole, so I was flat wiring right at the back of the boat. I tried to have one hull skimming the water at all times.

The top speed was attained during a particularly scary gust, when the boat just took off, I was sure that it would capsize, but instead, it just shot forwards like a an arrow from a bow.

I had to call it a day after that as the wind was getting so strong that tacking was almost impossible and gybing was getting too terrifying. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=138>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=138>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=138>

2	 thomf (Thom Flaxman) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=thomf> 	 Dart 16	 18.9 knots	 867	 9	 1786	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=132>
Well, racing was cancelled this evening, due to too much wind. However, as I had Alex Smith as crew, and Rob Way, and Penny Slee were willing to go out two-up on their Dart 15, we decided to make an evening of it. Photos to follow in the morning.

The Torridge was far too gusty so we headed towards Appledore and Crow Point, where we met up with Rob and Penny. They matched us tack for tack, as we ploughed through a F6, gusting F8!

We were jolly glad that we could reef the Dart 16, as without it, my arms would have been 6 inches longer.

The leeward hull was largely underwater and the waves were slamming into the forward crossbeam. My ample weight was well hiked out and Alex was doing sterling service on the trapeze.

Our peak speed was on a beam reach off Appledore before we nearly pitch-poled.

A great evening's sail with great company.

Marginally less wind, and a non-reefed mainsail would give us more speed.

I certainly swallowed plenty of brackish water this evening as it was like being on the receiving end of a fireman's hose for 90% of the time.

Click here for more pictures <http://flaxmanfamily.blogspot.com/2007/07/189-knots-peak-speed.html> . <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=132>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=132>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=132>

3	 Hang-Over (Andy) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Hang-Over> 	 Hobie 16	 19.55 knots	 802	 7	 1678	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=136>
The boat had recently been re-rigged on the beach so a 21kn gusting 28kn westerly according to the pierheads information service seemed like a good opportunity to test if we'd put everything together properly.

It seems we had, although we did pull a few rivets out of the jib traveller tracks during the session (It's a very old school '89 boat so no fancy new integrated tracks).

The speed is actually averaged over about 80m with the peak speed of 20.5kn. We were broad reaching with one on the trap with some moderate swells running across us. The sudden drop in speed after the peak run was the inevitable, and almost very painful, pitchpole which left me straddling the mast and my crew floating some way infront of the boat. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=136>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=136>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=136>

4	 Geert <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=Geert> 	 Blade F16	 19.6 knots	 690	 1	 1366	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=148>
Wind was 12-18 kn, 4-5 Bft, Northsea, Zandvoort, Holland.

Downwind under spi, crew on the wire. Pretty long waves helped a bit. No current at that time. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=148>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=148>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=148>

5	 primozk <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=primozk> 	 Dart 20	 17.28 knots	 718	 7	 1328	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=143>
I did this speed sailing with my Dart 20 in the bay of Punat on the island Krk in the northern Adriatic (Croatia). The wind forecast was very scary - a strong north east wind called the "burja" at 21 knots with gusts up to 30 knots. When setting up the cat my anemometer displayed 17 to 24 knots with the maximum of 27 knots.

This was my first sailing in burja which is known to have strong gusts. We were sailing for about 5 hours in the bay and travelled 80 kilometres in total.

A few times we were near to capsizing but I succeeded to handle the boat. My partner was all the time enjoying being on the trapeze, also taking photos and some videos.

This was my most adrenalin-full sail til now.

My Forerunner 305 showed the maximum of 32.2 km/h (17.28 kt), my colleges 60 CSx showed max 18.3 kt - perhaps I should use his track ;-)

Maximum apparent wind on the anemometer was 38 knots.

An IGC track and more information is available at my.opera.com/primoz/blog/2007/08/20/burja-v-punatu-18-7-2007 (in Slovenian language). <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=143>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=143>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=143>

Yacht Chart: (top 5, click here for the full yacht chart <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=5&c=3> )

Pos	 Entrant	 Boat Type	 Speed	 Handicap	 Story Rating (out of 10)	 Score	 Photo
1	 keithw (Keith Willis) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=keithw> 	 Pogo 2 Series Mini 6.50 fixed keel production mini	 16 knots	 1.02	 7	 1678	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=133>
Return trip of the RSYC Weymouth double, small kite, full main, No3 headsail, 2 handed, very full on sail. Must confess we wimped out on most of the gybes dropping the kite and bearing round.

Got into the Solent with flattish water and thought we would try and gybe the kit - BIG mistake! Over we went, mast in the water, keel out of it. 10 minutes later we were up and going and up to full speed, the attached track shows the sustained speeds we were achieving over the ground. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=133>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=133>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=133>

2	 TimC (Tim Cross) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=TimC> 	 Projection 762	 13.068 knots	 0.972	 9	 1464	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=152>
This speed run came during an inshore club yacht race - the wind was 20+ kts from the south west with the usual sloppy sea. A couple of the earlier kite legs suggested we could maybe get some interesting speeds.

So we got the boat up to the last windward mark with the bigger class 1 boats starting to come past. We turned the corner and set the reaching kite for the blast in - and almost immediately took a wave over the deck at 12kts. In the mad scramble to the back of the boat the navigator nearly disappeared out the back but finally, with us all sitting on top of each other in the stern, we were able to power up and see what she could do. With the grinder getting covered in flying winch grease everytime the shouts of 'PUMP!' came from the back of the boat we picked up some great waves and started overtaking the bigger and higher rated boats (always a pleasure!). GPS claimed a max spike of 16.5 but averaged over the requisite distance we got just over 13.

Can definitely do better! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=152>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=152>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=152>

3	 drunkenSailor (Nick Pratt) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=drunkenSailor> 	 Laser 28	 12 knots	 0.907	 6	 1390	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=124>
During a race in the local Admiral's Regatta.

Blasting out of Hout Bay between The Centinal and Chapmans Peak. We were rolling around in a bad swell but loving it. Overtaking the slower, bigger boats.

We had a near chinese gybe during one such run but saved it with out spinning out. Our top speed was 15.8 knots. We went on to win our class and the Sword for the overall regatta.

This is the photo of the longest highest speeds. <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=124>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=124>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=124>

4	 olly_love (Oliver Love) <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/pm_new_message_form.asp?name=olly_love> 	 40.7	 10.7 knots	 1.066	 6	 1064	  <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=122>
Racing in the De Guingand Bowl Race in about 30 knots with waves behind us going downwind with one reef and the no.5 up flying off the tops and into the backs of the waves. I was standing up by the shrouds triming the kite and going white as the water came over the deck.

I haven't got the pics yet but will add the GPS data and pics later. I swear that we got more on the reach but that is the max that the GPS said.

Editor's notes:
This can't be an official entry yet as there is no GPS data, but it's good to see some real story telling! <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=122>

<http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=122>

click here for details <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/speedfreaks/?s=3&USFN=122>

Copyright 2007 Yachts and Yachting Online Ltd. registered in England No. 3878407  |  Terms & Conditions <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/members/termsconds.html>   |  Contact Us <http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/main/>