USAA Nationals - October 11-13,2008

Susan Heller-Zeisler s_zeisler at verizon.net
Thu Aug 7 21:27:26 EDT 2008

(sent on behalf of Rolf Zeisler, USAA President)

I am inviting you and your crew to come to our premier USAA event in
2008 - the National Championships.  The Ware River Yacht Club will be
hosting this year’s Championships.  WRYC may not be an unknown venue
to many of the 2007 Nationals/Internationals competitors, but let me
quickly highlight the attraction.

WRYC is located just off Mobjack Bay on the Western Shore of the
Southern Chesapeake Bay on a thinly settled peninsula, Ware Neck; a
pretty place not only for those who like star gazing without city
lights.  For the wind-addicted sailors the Bay can produce very nice
building sea breezes by mid-day, or we can enjoy that brisk north-
westerly air coming down from Canada in the Fall.  On the race
courses, the WRYC race committees have shown us many times their
dedication to racing with expertly set courses and excellent race
committee work.  Our PRO for the Championships, Rick Klein, is working
closely with us to assure perfect three days (actually four, since he
will be driving the boat for Barney’s clinic).

WRYC will be turning out its hospitability in a grand style by
inviting all competitors to the Saturday Night Dinner.  Beyond that
they will make their grounds and club house our home for the extended
weekend.  The budget-minded Albacore sailors, and the ones who like to
step in their boat without a commute (see also star gazing) are
invited to pitch their tents on the club grounds.  There are showers
and a refrigerator in the kitchen, but no electrical hookups.  For the
remaining crowd we have reserved a block of rooms at the Gloucester
Comfort Inn (see NOR for rates and registration deadlines).

We have scheduled the first race on Saturday, Oct. 11, at 12:00 noon
with the Skippers Meeting at 10:30.  This should provide all who are
on the road in Maryland (South of the Mason Dixon Line) by 6:00 AM on
one of the major corridors from the North, US 15, US 301, I 83, I 95,
with ample time to make it to the regatta.  The same applies for the
race clinic on Friday.  The good news: the speed limit on a long
stretch of US 17 is now 60 MpH, which cuts about 5 minutes from the
drive, or may save you from a ticket.  And gas or diesel is about a
quarter cheaper down there.

Having said this all, I would like to hear from you that you are
planning to sail in this event.  Please send me a note, or simply do
the early registration as soon as Scott puts this on the web.

Hope to see you on the water,

Rolf
USAA President