[PRAF] PRAF Leukemia Cup UPDATE

Barney Harris teamspot at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 09:15:21 EDT 2009

Hay I'll contribute the use of some sails.

Barney

To: praf at yahoogroups.com; albacore at myfleet.org
From: mheinsdorf at gmail.com
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:40:26 -0400
Subject: [PRAF] PRAF Leukemia Cup UPDATE

All,

I'm not sure if everyone knows at the moment, but the Presidents/Leukemia Cup in Washington, DC this year is honoring someone who has been actively involved in the US Albacore Fleet for several years.  Bob Bear was recently diagnosed with and is currently undergoing treatment in Baltimore for Leukemia.  He's has not let Leukemia stop him from sailing this summer and according to a synopsis of his recent update from Peter Duncan, may actually win the Albacore Summer Series at West River (see update below my signature) despite only sailing two days of the series.  Yep, he's that good.

As long as I have known him, Bob has always been very active in the Albacore fleet, sailing in most of the regattas I have attended, and several I haven't.  He's also always been active in the Class leadership and most recently is the Vice President of the North American fleet, responsible for organizing our regattas, such as Nationals and North Americans.  This year, there is a regatta for him.

Unfortunately, before many of us in the local fleet knew about Bob, we had already signed up to do Race Committee.  I'm the PRO, Jim Graham and Nathan Marsh are helping out and Scott Snyder is the Regatta Chair (though he will still be sailing).  This would be a fantastic regatta to show our support for Bob and even though many of us are doing RC, I'm still convinced there is a way we show our support.  And that's getting as many boats out on the course as we can.

To that end, I'm offering up use of my boat for the regatta to whomever makes at least a $100 donation to the Leukemia and Lymphona Society and if you can do better than that, that's fantastic.  There are of course a couple caveats- email me before you just make a giant donation to the Leukemia and Lymphona Society.  You'll have to at least have skippered in a regatta before and bring your own sails though we can work around that if that's an issue.  There's a good party afterwards and if you aren't from the area, we can put you up somewhere.  And if you don't mind trailering your boat down to the Potomac, why not do it?  If you haven't sailed in one or two or three or four years, what better plans do you have for that weekend than dusting off your boat and put it to use?  I'm know Bob would really appreciate seeing everyone out on the race course.  And if you have an Albacore at the marina, there's really no excuse not to be sailing.  See here for more details and to sign up:  http://potomacriversailing.org/PresidentsLeukemiaCups/2009/

So the big question is, who's in?  Let us know!  And don't forget to read about Bob below.

~Mike

Bob Bear continues his treatment for leukemia which he was diagnosed with at the end of May.  His initial rounds of chemo have been successful, and while temporarily out of the hospital, he and his Indefatigable teammate, Kelsey Avrill racked up enough bullets in two weekends of the West River Albacore Summer Series that they may win it in spite of Bob's return for further treatment.

As of a recent report, Bob is in the final stages of being matched with donors for a bone marrow transplant.  He was optimistic that he would have a match by the middle of August and would undergo the marrow transplant before the end of the month. This is a risky procedure, but the only one that can lead to a cure, so Bob is courageously moving forward with the team at Johns Hopkins who does over 400 marrow transplants a year.

Following the transplant, Bob will have to remain in the hospital for a lengthy period to recover and rebuild his immune system before he can be out and about.  While recovery will keep him from sailing the rest of the season, he hopes to make some of the year end festivities and be back in 8095 next season.

__._,_.___

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group

Give Back