[PRAF] HYC One Design Regatta, July 4th-5th

Robert Bear robertbear99 at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 20:26:23 EDT 2015

Nich,
Thank you.  I cannot seem to edit the spreadsheet.  Subject to finding crew, I will participate on either June 27/28 or July 4/5, but not both.  As between the two, it seem clear that the Albacores will have better participation on June 27/28.  Getting out of DC heading south on I-95 on Friday evening of July 4 weekend will be horrendous, and many people likely have made plans already for July 4.  So, I recommend we do the best we can on June 27/28.

 HYC seems to do these last minute flip-flops with the date of their regatta almost every year, and I cannot imagine that it really helps their regatta.   If there is any way to dissuade HYC from moving the regatta, I would much prefer to participate in a real regatta on June 27/28 than a training session.  Even on a "normal" weekend, traveling 4+ hours each way is a long haul for just a training session.  The best outcome, in my opinion, would be for HYC to keep the regatta as scheduled for June 27.

If that's not possible, let's at least still call it a regatta.  We should try to get a committee boat to set a real line, but we can do rabbit starts if we have to. I just hope that we can do a decent sized race course and maybe award some inexpensive prizes at the end.  We don't have to do anything fancy.  It can be a bit like going to away sailing events back in college.  We didn't have to organize banquets for everyone to call it a regatta.  How about calling it the "Albacore All-About-the-Racing Regatta"

Cheers,
Bob

CC: albacore at myfleet.org; ts-spruill at charter.net; PRAF at yahoogroups.com; WRAlbacore at yahoogroups.com