Vanguardians headed to Ski/Sail this weekend. . . we want Pics!

Rob Grant rob at latitude38.com
Fri Apr 18 13:44:09 EDT 2008

If anyone is planning on taking their 5mp or better camera to Ski/Sail this
weekend to take some photos, we'd love to see them. I'd love to go up there,
but we're in our final deadline week and overloaded with the boat show. I'd
love to get a V15 pic in May's Racing Sheet and if someone gets some good
ones from Tahoe they'll definitely be considered.

Some general guidelines, tips, things to look for:

Always look for multiple boats in one frame

Try to get the people sailing the boats in the frame (dacron and gelcoat
don't hold much interest on their own)

Look for Splash and/or Crash

Get close, i.e. "If you're not getting flipped off, you're not close
enough." (you don't have to take it that far. . . .)

Leave some extra room in the frame

Take some cheesy posed party photos of people squeezed tight together
(cheesier the better! Exaggerate the cheese!)

This should not be construed as an attempt to encourage you to do anything
illicit, dangerous or wacky for the sake of getting a comical photo.
Examples of this type of behavior would be putting a boat in the moguls, or
sailing it down a halfpipe, or using a boat as a sled with a run that starts
high on a hill and finishes in the water, or substituting a pair of booms
for ski poles, or. . . .

Thanks in advance, I hope those of you who're going have a great time and
come back with some good shots and stories. My deadline for this would be
Tuesday afternoon at the latest. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to
put them up on your favorite photo sharing site, send me the link and then
I'll get back to you for hi-res versions. If you don't already have that set
up and want to just e-mail a couple of your favorites, make sure they are
low-res at first, then I'll get back to you for hi-res versions.

For your troubles you'll get a photo credit and I'll even throw in a
limited-run Latitude 38 bumper sticker. At the very least it's an
opportunity to help maintain the profile of fleet 53.

Thanks,

--Rob Grant, Associate Editor -- Racing

Latitude 38 Magazine
We Go Where the Wind Blows