Rules Question -- Thoughts / Opinions Requested

Alex Mountjoy a.mountjoy at dolcemia.com
Fri Jun 26 20:00:52 EDT 2009

I don't think you could win a protest by claiming "he didn't hail loudly enough". Even if you weren't hailed, even if the inside port tacker doesn't have time to utter a word, as soon as he/she tacks to starboard, you need to begin responding as port-tack boat.  Since all you need to do is tack, even in close quarters with little time with small boats this is normally easily accomplished.  Arguing that he didn't give you time to keep clear when all you had to do is put the helm over is going to be tough.

Alex Mountjoy