rules question

Jorge Moraleda jorge.moraleda at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:50:54 EDT 2009

Dear sailing friends,

Kevin mentioned tonight the article "Get Past Obstructions With Rule
19" by Dick Rose that appears in the May issue of Sailing World (p.66)

The last section of that article talks about what happens when a late
comer is trying to get a front row start by sneaking in between two
boats that are already there. I still don't understand how all the
rules interplay in the real world in this situation. I am hoping that
maybe you can help me.

As background, I just read the afore mentioned article, ISAF case #53
mentioned there, and I have reread all rules in part 2.

Now imagine the following case (which may sound familiar to all of you):

Assume 8 boats are about 2 boat lengths from the line 30s before a V15
start. All of them are next to each other, pretty much head to wind
(but on starboard) and with little forward momentum. Say that between
boats 4 and 5 (counting from the boat end) there are between 2 and 3
boat widths. There is even less space between the others.

At this time, Boat Z coming from behind on starboard (like everyone
else) with a just a little more momentum that the boats ahead of her
is about to sneak between 4 and 5 to try to get a front row start. 4,
to winward of Z puts her bow down to try to protect her space and
hails Z to not come in there. Z disregards the call and goes into the
space any way. 4 is annoyed but comes up almost to head to wind to
avoid Z. Z luffs her sail and goes head to wind herself to avoid 5 (to
leeward of her). Now 4, Z, and 5 are all overlapped on starboard with
barely any momentum and almost head to wind.

No contact has occurred yet.

The starting signal is given. Z continues keeping her bow up to avoid
5, who is still not close hauled (probably to avoid 6). 4 puts her
bown down to close hauled which results in contact between the bow of
Z and the port bow of 4.

---------

Who did what right? Who did what wrong? What should have been the
ideal behavior for each of the actors in this situation...  In
particular

1) Should Z not have gone in between 4 and 5? In general, when should
a call "no room" / "don't go in there" be given? When should it be
heeded? When should it be ignored?

2) Should 4 have kept her bow up and continue keeping clear of Z who
was a leeward boat?

What would have to be different in the scenario for the answer to be
the opposite?

Thank you,

Jorge
946