details for upcoming Vanguard Racing Season -- starts next week!

eric raffini eric.raffini at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 13:14:23 EDT 2012

Hey folks,

Just wanted to provide you some information about the upcoming Vanguard
racing season.

First of all, Thursday night fleet racing at TISC starts next week – April 5
th and continues through September 13th.  That’s 24 weeks of sailing!
Racing fees for the entire season will remain the same this year at $135
(payable to TISC) and the Vanguard 15 fleet dues are $20 (payable to
Vanguard Fleet 53).  The nightly  “drop-in” fee is $15 for tenants and $20
for non-tenants.  In a few days, we hope to be able to accept fees and dues
online via Paypal, but are still working a few issues out with TISC (stay
tuned for more info).  Otherwise, you can bring your old-fashioned checks
and printed registration forms (attached) to Pier-In on Sunday morning or
on Thursday, April 5th.

Remember: Registration forms and dues need to be completed/signed/paid *before
you will be scored. No Exceptions!*

Mike Bishop is helping to coordinate the Race Committee this year. Super is
back! And will have help from Nancy and others looking to gain RC
experience/hours. Our plan is to start the Laser Sailors at 6:15pm and the
Vanguards at 6:30pm –sharp!  This will hopefully alleviate any congestion
on the ramp and ensure that we can get as many races in before sunset.

Probably the biggest change this year has to do with TISC’s volunteer
policy and requirements. Basically, our use of the TISC facility is
contingent upon maintaining our status as “TISC volunteers.”  In addition
to hosting the series, TISC provides liability insurance to sailors while
on the water. To maintain this relationship and keep our fees low, all
sailors racing in the series are responsible for fulfilling the following
volunteer hours (per boat) over the course of the season:

* *

·       *Tenants:* Vanguard - *18 hours*, Laser - *12 hours*

*     Non-tenants:* Vanguard - *12 hours*, Laser  - *6 hours*

·       Sailors who pay the “drop-in” entry fee more than 3 nights over the
course of the season shall also be required to fulfill these hours.

·       Sailors are responsible for tracking and reporting their volunteer
hours directly with TISC.

·       Sailors agree to reimburse TISC at the rate of $20/hour for all
unfulfilled hours at the end of the season.

A couple of key dates to put on your calendar where TISC really needs help
from the fleet are:

-April 1, Sunday, Pier-In  (9 AM to 1 PM) – This Sunday!!

-April 27, Saturday, TISC Opening Day (All Day)

-May 12, Saturday, TISC Facility Work Day (10-4)

-May 19, Saturday, National Safe Boating Day (All Day)

-June 9, Saturday, Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon (Beer Tent)

-June 10, Sunday, Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon (Beer Tent)

-October, Sunday, Pier Out (9 AM to 1 PM)

Attached are the 2012 Notice of Racing (you should read these), 2012 TISC
Medical/Liability Form, and 2012 Fleet Registration Form (so we know your
name).

Finally, don’t forget to sign-up for the annual Ski/Sail Regatta in Tahoe
on April 14-15th – online at http://vanguard15.org/schedule/670

Also, let me know if you are interested buying/selling/chartering a boat
this year. We can try and connect folks.  Otherwise, see you on the water.

-Eric