Losing Clipper Cove

Hunter Cutting huntercutting at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 21:26:46 EDT 2015

Hello V15 fleet:

I¹ve spoken with some of you about the proposal to convert Clipper Cove into
a private marina.

An on-line petition has been started.  It calls for a pause in planning so
the public benefits of this marina proposal can be weighed.   You can sign
here.

Petition: http://saveclippercove.nationbuilder.com/petition

I see this proposal as a spectacularly bad idea that has gotten surprisingly
far in the approval process, mostly because the approvals won to date were
secured 10-20 years ago, and are based on a re-use plan for Treasure Island
that was approved in 1996, three years before TISC was founded in 1999.  The
proposal has lain dormant for 10 years and has only started moving forward a
couple months ago as the litigation over the re-use of Treasure Island has
finally settled and the Navy has just last month passed title to of land
parcels to the City.

However, there are plenty of opportunities left to save Clipper Cove, either
by stopping the marina development outright or getting them to reduce their
footprint such that the cove can still host recreational and instructional
small boating.

People are just starting to come together and organize themselves so we can
show public officials what an amazing resource will be lost if the cove is
converted into a private marina.

And I¹ve written a long blog post with most of the background to this issue,
which you can read here:

Post: http://abovetheblueandwindysea.com/

But, most importantly, please sign the petition!

Best regards,

Hunter Cutting

Hunter Cutting
1455 Alabama Street