[Santana 22] How To Wet Sail and Be Fast

Treby at aol.com Treby at aol.com
Wed Apr 4 15:46:03 EDT 2007

I would second Pete's comments. I used to dry sail my boat and it had
virtually no bottom paint left from when it had previously been wet sailed, and
despite my boat being heavy it was pretty fast and I did well racing, winning
the Island Friday night series I think a couple of times in a row. When I put it
 in the water I was told I needed to use ablative paint because that was what
was  used in the past so that's what was used. What a differance! Although
having the  bottom scrubbed the day of the race obviously helps, even then my
boat is  definitely off the pace, and a month without having the bottom cleaned
by a  diver renders the boat uncompetitive, even with using a brush on race
day.

If you're going to race I think Pete's recommendations are right on the
money. Better still, drysail your boat!

Mark - Albacore