[Santana 22] nationals

Pete Trachy pete at tolachi.com
Thu Aug 16 04:28:13 EDT 2007

For me the highlight of nationals was the first windward mark rounding of
the 4th race.  After being forced to tack to clear our air at the start we
decided to stick to our strategy and favor the left hand side of the
course.  Going out Sarah noticed that we were getting headed and we decided
to sail into it until we could almost lay the mark.  Once we tacked on the
starboard layline it was clear that we had managed to put most of the fleet
behind us.  One boat was coming in ahead of us on port and I was elated when
Sarah peaked under the mast and announced that it was Tim Nutt on The
Greatest Thing in This World.  There is nothing quite like leading a fleet
of 24 boats into the first windward mark with one of your best friends.  We
didn't catch Tim on the run, despite our best efforts to sit on him, but
managed to round inside him due to a boathandling issue on TGTITW.  We
nervously tacked to cover a few minutes later, wondering if it was possible
to stay ahead of Bonito or Maybe for much longer.  Fortunately our wheels
stayed on and we managed to hold what we had.

I also really enjoyed the first race of series when there was still a bit of
wind.  The relatively shifty puffy breeze had us constantly shifting gears.
My friend simon was playing the backstay constantly to keep the rig powered
up.  I have never noticed before how much the backstay opens and closes the
leach of a funa main.  It was really fun to be constantly tweaking the boat
instead of just cranking everything on and pounding through the chop.
Despite an initially good position we watched Maybe pass us and pull away by
4 or 5 boat lengths on the first downwind leg.  By the 2nd downwind leg we
were midfleet and  desperately trying to hold what we had.

Two general recalls!  The starts were great.  All I could have asked for.

Things I learned this nationals are that it is always best to get your sails
measured in well in advance and you never know how long it will take you to
get your bottom clean.

BTW,  Mike Kennedy, what did you sail before this anyway?  Don't you know
that you are supposed to take at least a season to get used to the boat?

Thanks again to Jan for getting 24 boats out and to RYC for not making the
starting line too long.

Pete

ps  Anybody interested in a spinnaker series next year?