[Santana 22] 2008 Spinnaker Series

Pete Trachy pete at tolachi.com
Thu Aug 16 05:30:29 EDT 2007

I would really like to get an active spinnaker series going again in our
fleet next year.  It is fun to go out and pop the chute up in 25 knots and
come surfing in underneath the gate.  I miss it and I know other people in
our class do too.  After the excellent turnout at nationals, I'd like to see
if we can make something more substantial happen next year.

It seems that this could be an opportunity to fill out some of the year when
the YRA series isn't happening and things are a little slower.  Below is a
proposed schedule:

Early March: Big Daddy (3 races) - Southampton.  We would not be allowed to
do the pursuit race because we are too slow and the day is still too short
at that time of the year.  However, the RYC people said the saw no reason
why we couldn't have a one design start for the buoy racing on Saturday.

Late March: Double Handed Lightship (1 race) - Out the gate.

Early May:  Vallejo (1 race) - Long, recquires knowledge of currents and
wind to win.  Traditionally highly attended.

Late October: Great Pumpkin (3 races) - This race has traditionally been
strongly attended. Held at Southampton shoals, the wind is often light.

Potential Additional Races:

Three Bridge Fiasco - Mid January, often don't finish because of wind.
Plastic Classic
2nd 1/2 Opener -  Late July.  Nice to have a few races when it is really
blowing.
Vallejo 1/2 - Fall, good attendance in 2006.

I feel that there is room for an additional race or two in the above
schedule.  One option is to pay regatta pro to hold somethng for us, or to
run an event off the bay view boat club course in the south bay.

If you are interested, please reply to the list with your thoughts.

Thanks,

Pete