[Santana 22] 2008 Spinnaker Series

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Thu Aug 16 13:28:35 EDT 2007

Michael,

There are several other races that are not SSS which might be
interesting and very possible doublehanded possibilities in our boats:

1.	Rites of Spring.  Some Santanas already sail this OYC early-in-the
season doublehanded race - usually in March.
2.	Jazz  Cup.  One-way trip on Labor Day to Benecia.  Much like the
Vallejo races;  you  just don't turn left into the Mare Island Strait.

However, I'm reluctant to get too much on the racing table.  While a
lot of boats have signed up for this year's YRA series, only a few
show up to race.  Last year the Santanas barely made the 5-boat
minimum to stay qualified for YRA One Design racing. It isn't the
number of boats that sign up initially; it's the number that sail 50%
or more of the fleet-scheduled YRA Championship races the fleet's
signed up for.  That's how a boat "qualifies" and YRA requires a
minimum of 5 boats "qualifying" in order be a One Design Fleet.  I
don't think this 5-boat "qualified" requirement is clearly
understood.  It isn't the number who sign up; it's the number that
actually race.

YRA is talking about setting up an HDA "small boat" division that
would compete on ODCA closed course (round the buoys) races in order
to keep older 22 - 27 (Ranger 23 through something like Catalina 27)
foot boats sailing in YRA.  If the Santanas don't "qualify" 5 boats,
that's probably where they'll end up if they want to sail YRA races.

It's similar to what ODCA has done for the "heavy 30s" - Newport 30,
Cal 29, Cat 30  (PHRF 180) fleets whose participation fell below the
minimum 5-boat requirement.  The HDA has the  "SF 30 Fleet" that
provides the same thing for boats rating around PHRF 135.

Often the Santana spinnaker races are also very light.  While these
races don't count either toward the YRA Championship (the Santana 22
"white sail" races) nor toward "qualifying" for YRA purposes (only
races counted toward YRA championship points count), Race Committees
are understandably upset when only one or two - or none - show up to
race - either for white sail or spinnaker races.

Pat