[Santana 22] Lightship???

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Sat Mar 10 14:33:04 EST 2007

Hey SODA Fans,

Talk to an old timer (Shirley, Cathy, Frank) about the "Real" Costal
Cup and what it cost the Santana 22s in their handicap -- back in the
good old days of plastic ships and iron sailors!  I don't know what
the original PHRF number was originally, but it was a lot more
generous than the current 237 seconds per mile.

The original race ended in San Diego - the one the Tunas cleaned up
on.  Then they cut it to Catalina.  And, finally to Santa Barbara (or
Ventura? or another Channel port).

I sailed two Catalina races on my Newport 30 in the 1980s and the
real marathon began after Pt. Conception.   On the 1st race it took
us 12+ hours to sail the final mile to the Finish Line at Arrow Point
(west end of Catalina).  That's the Final Mile!  Since the engine
wasn't working, it was sail or drift, so we sailed and sailed and
sailed.  Then it was a 30 mile tow to Avalon.  On the 2nd race we
dropped out and started motoring at Pt. Fermin.  A full day of sails
slatting in the hot sun convinced us.

Now I'm just happy sailing "Elaine" down to Pillar Point and back on
the SSS Half Moon Bay Race.

Pat
"Elaine" #245