[Santana 22] spinny sets from cockpit

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Mon May 21 23:14:32 EDT 2007

Tom,

I set the chute from the cockpit hatch all the time and don't get a
wrap.  I think it's important to pre-feed the guy clew and have the
afterguy set up before the hoist.

I "sail" my races in my mind over and over during the week before.
Since I'm pretty familiar with the singlehanded races and the
courses, I usually have a good idea of which board the first set will
be on.  When I band the chute on the night before a singlehanded
race, I stop banding about halfway down the chute and when I pack the
sail into the bag, I leave the clew that's going to the afterguy for
last, and make sure it's free all the way up to the first band.
Sometimes I even "band" it with light yarn so it will "snake" out
when I pull on the afterguy and pre-feed it.

I also cleat off the sheet prior to hoisting.

I run the guy and sheet to my cabin top winches so they are right at
hand when I complete the hoist. I can grab the tails and pull on
either/both to get the sail trimmed quickly

When I complete the hoist the sail isn't trimmed, but it's pretty
well out beyond the forestay and ready for trimming.

Also I've practiced for years since I've been singlehanded racing
since 1985, so that helps.  Practice, practice, practice.

Pat
"Elaine" #245