[Santana 22] kevlar Tape Drive sail

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Mon Nov 26 23:02:11 EST 2007

Tom,

Let me start again.  I hit the wrong key and sent my message before
it was complete.

The Rules state that sails shall be polyester fabric and that doesn't
include kevlar.  That prescription applies to all Santana 22 class
races.  I would protest any boat that showed up with other than
Polyester fabric sails (Dacron, Mylar, Pentex at the moment).

I don't know what it does to PHRF racing since fabric choice is not
listed as part of the PHRF Certificate.  The assumption is that One
Design Boats sailing in PHRF races will sail according to what's
listed on their PHRF Certificate.

Often PHRF races include a prescription that boats will also sail
according to their Class Rules.  In my opinion such a prescription
would rule out using anything but Polyester in races where that is
included in the NOR/Application/SIs.

Pat
"Elaine" #38000