[Santana 22] regrettably, Santana 561 for sale

Logan Jager jagtek at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 2 22:58:41 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

It comes with great apprehension that I put my Santana, Return of the
Vegetables, up for sale.  With my new job, I simply have no more time
to sail the boat as much as it deserves.  I have enjoyed sailing in
the fleet for the past 3 seasons, and I think the boat has proven its
speed nicely.  I wanted to let everyone here know first before I
advertise it anywhere else.  I'm hoping that one of you knows someone
that is looking for a race ready 22.  I would like to keep it in the
racing fleet because there is so much renewed interest.  In case you
know anyone, here is a quick description:

Then boat is hull number 561.  I purchased it from a fellow in the
central valley that had it stored in a very dry, very warm storage
area for years.  The result was that when I brought it to the bay, it
was probably the lightest, stiffest Santana in the fleet.  Before
being moth balled for several years, the boat was sailed up on a
fresh water lake above modesto and probably never saw more than 10
knots of wind.  I brought the boat down and updated the rigging and
put a new set of sails on it.  Most of the running rigging is low
stretch vectran or dyneema with all modern blocks.  The upwind sails
are the standard pineapples with a full top batten main.  The jib has
only been used at 2 Nationals and 1 Vallejo race which is 5 days.
The main has slightly more use, but has excellent shape.  The boat is
a bit oxidized like all of the old boats, and is not the prettiest
thing in the world but it is one of the fastest boats in the Bay.
The bottom and Keel are not the prettiest, but the boat has no
shortage of speed having finished in the top 5 in the Nationals for
the 2 years it attended (4th in Santa Cruz in '05 and 5th in '07).
Actually, excluding the new boats, It has placed as the top Bay Area
boat in both the Nationals it has raced in.  The rudder is pretty
fair and the edges are very sharp with minimal hull gap.

The controls are lead back to the cockpit and all work exceptionally
well.  I put a lot of time placing the jib cars to get the optimal
jib shape and sheeting angle.  The standing rigging is the standard
Bay Area heavy air setup and is in good shape.  The headstay is set
up for max class legal rake and the boat sails with very neutral
helm.  For some reason we have not experienced the lee helm that the
tuna is famous for.  The boat is setup for a spinnaker with very good
fredriksen sheeting blocks.  It has a brand new North 2S which has
only been hoisted once.  I have done some testing and I believe the
north kite is faster than the pineapple in everything but super deep
running.  It has a bit less shoulder than the pinapple and can be
carried a good 5-10 degrees higher than the bigger shouldered kites.
It is really a great vallejo or point to point type "in the bay"
kite.  In all, this boat is a great boat for someone who wants to go
fast right away.  Being a very stiff hull to start with, the boat is
also perfect candidate for someone looking to do a restoration if
they want it to be cosmetically perfect.

The boat is living at Treasure Island Sailing Center where I have
always dry stored it.  It has a 2 axle trailer with surge brakes that
is really overbuilt for a tuna but I guess that's a good thing.  I am
also including a mostly new nissan 4-hp 4-stroke that only needs the
carb cleaned.

I am asking $4800, which is about the same as the replacement value
for the sails, motor, and trailer.

If you know anyone interested, I can be reached at: 510-333-5802 or
jagtek at berkeley.edu.

Cheers,

Logan Jager