[Santana 22] Robert "Bear" Hornady

Jeffrey Carder jtcarder at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 01:02:35 EDT 2008

Hello fellow Tuna Sailors,

I'm sending along sad news regarding one of our fellow Santana 22
"Tuna" sailors.

Robert "Bear" Hornady, a member of Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club and
Fleet #12  passed away Thursday,  August 21, after a short but valiant
fight against cancer. Three months ago Bear was racing in our S22 one
design fleet and looking forward to the Nationals in Santa Cruz and
the Santanarama at Stillwater Cove.  But, unfortunately he was
diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and and was unable to fight off the
disease.  Bear was 69 years old.

Bear joined the MPYC two years ago and was immediately drawn to the
Santana 22 and it's competitive fleet. Bear never did anything "half-
way" so he contacted Tom Schock and bought a brand new Santana 22,
Sail #816,  "Tickle". He sure was pleased when the bright yellow boat
arrived in Monterey. All of us wanted to sail on it and many of us did.

Those of us who knew Bear appreciated his no nonsense approach to
sailing and life. Even though Tickle was frequently in the back of the
fleet, he never complained and knew that his efforts to sail and learn
would pay off after a couple of seasons.  I wish he had the chance!

Bear also occasionally crewed on Mizzen and was with Vic  and I at the
2007 S22 Nationals in Richmond. He was pleased to talk about the
experience during one of my last visits to the hospital.

Bear is survived by his wife Barbara, "Roo", who was an avid fan of
Bear's sailing and was a welcome addition to club social events.  His
crew members, Lloyd Marsh, Neil Schmidt and Jennifer Price especially
miss him and sailing on Tickle.  A memorial service is being planned
and will be announced.

All of us who knew Bear are glad we got to know him and race against
his boat. He will be sorely missed.

With a sad and heavy heart,

Jeff Carder
Mizzen #54