[Santana 22] Dry Storage

QueDau at aol.com QueDau at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 14:10:45 EST 2008

Hi, from the Rocky Mountains (6,000 foot elevation, 320 square mile Bear
Lake)!

I think stepping the mast and taking it down, even once a year is a royal
pain.  I try to limit those activities to once every other year so that the
boat can be at home indoors every other winter, and I shrink wrap her in  our
marina parking lot on the years she stays at the lake on her trailer with  mast
up.  Having a berth is so convenient for frequent outings.  But  launching on a
ramp is what I did for two years while waiting for a berth.   Easy, even
one-handed. Of course, I kept her mast up on the trailer  in parking lot storage
when not sailing her.  When launching on the  ramp, I just made sure she was
secured by lines to a dock somewhere near the  ramp, while I was in the pick up.
 When putting her back on the trailer at  the ramp, it helps to have very
tall guides* on the trailer, as the trailer will  be totally submersed and
invisible when you sail up to the trailer.

And as for the hoist, mine is a 3-ton hoist (my Christmas gift from my
husband one year), and it lifts her just fine, in fact, it holds her  suspended
from our shop's I-beam for a month at a time on the  alternate years when I do
bottom work on her.  Other sailors have used my  hoist without incident.

* My guides are 8-foot PVC pipe, covered in home-made fleece tubes, slipped
on to 30 inch tall 1-inch thick metal rods welded to the trailer at the  wheel
hubs.  Husband made them for me and said, "You ought to be able to  see those
guides from Idaho."  (My marina launch ramp is on Utah side of  the border.)

In a message dated 12/12/2008 3:15:52 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,