[Santana 22] Ookers

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Wed Jul 2 20:11:00 EDT 2008

Steve,

Right you are!  Beats Teddy Turner and that San Diego guy.  I forget
whether my model was a C-1 or C-2.  It was about 1952.   I looked
pretty much like the other Italian and British racers of the day.
Graceful fenders and rear deck (boot as some might call it).

His Corvettes and the Jag were another breed and a decade later.   If
GM had stayed in the racing biz we might remember Cunningham right up
there with Shelby.

Do you know the story of packing the engine compartment with ice when
the 'Vette began overheating due to leaking coolant late in the
race?  They had to complete the 24 hours and could only stop after so
many laps to fill it up, I think.  Don't think NASCAR would allow
that today.  What would it look like on TV for a fake Chevy or Ford
to be running around the track dripping a steady stream of water
behind it?  Probably not too good for the cars following it, either.

Pat