[Santana 22] Fairing Keel / Temp Slip in SF

Jeffrey Carder jtcarder at comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 02:04:40 EDT 2009

We replaced the keel bolts on Mizzen a few years back. Here are the
details.

We used a circular sander with 80 grit paper to remove the fairing
material and paint over the bolt heads on the bottom of the boat on
either side of the keel "flange" .  The bolts are flat headed bolts-
not sure of the size but obviously Steve Seal knows. Ours were slotted
bolts- allen head would be easier to hold. The nuts on Mizzen were
completely rusted and frozen. After chipping away all the rust with a
chisel, we tried spraying with WD40 to loosen up the nuts. No luck. We
ended up using a 4 inch electric grinder with an abrasive disk to
"grind" off one of the flats on each of the nuts. Be careful you don't
hit the fiberglass hull !  Once thru the nut metal the remaining part
of the nut unscrewed easily. We then pounded the bolts out the bottom
1 or 2 bolts at a time and installed the new bolts and nuts as we went
along. I would not recommend removing the keel-too heavy.  Once all
the new bolts and nuts were in place we tightened the nuts with a big
adjustable wrench. One guy was in the cabin turning the nuts and the
other was below with a large screwdriver ( or slotted screw socket)
holding the bolt heads. ( Allen head bolts would be way easier to
hold). Once they are all cinched and tightened you can redo the
fairing on the keel. We used West Systems epoxy fairing material,
sanded and smoothed and then painted the keel and fairing area.

Bottom paint will sand off. We use 80 or 100 grit paper to remove the
old bottom paint- very dusty, messy process. We uses palm sanders or
hand blocks for this sanding. I believe the bottom paint people want
80 grit sanding done before applying the first coat. We also lightly
sanded between coats. See the paint cans or web for more info.

I live in Monterey so I probably won't be able to stop by. Hope this
helps. Call me if you have any questions.

Happy sailing !

Jeff Carder
Tickle # 817
(used to own Mizzen #54)