[Santana 22] Anyone using an auto pilot?

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Wed Jun 10 10:54:34 EDT 2009

Greg,

There are really only 2 "tiller pilots" available for Tunas:

1.	Raymarine Autohelm 100+ ($480 at WM or $397 at Defender Industries
or Google for prices).  It's the one I used on "Elaine" and am
currently using on  my Wyliecat.

2.	Simrad TP 10 "Tiller Pilot" ($305 Defender Industries.  Not listed
in WM's catalog).  Listed for boats up to 33' and 8,000#.

Both work in the way Jeff describes in his very good email: socket on
starboard hatch cover; pin for steering ram on tiller.  Both require
some wiring, but it's not too bad.  Both will steer a Tuna most of
the time in most conditions where you're comfortable letting it do
the job.

But both will only steer compass courses, unlike costlier units that
can be integrated into a system with a wind indicator and steer
according to the wind.  (The Simrad TP 22 ($447 Defender Industries)
is a slightly more robust unit and does accept NMEA 2000/0183 if you
have a masthead wind unit that puts out either of those sentences.)

Both come with all the hardware you'll need for a Tuna:  socket, pin,
wiring harness.  The instructions are pretty straight forward.  In a
Tuna cockpit a remote probably isn't necessary.

A tiller pilot takes a little learning to use it to its best.  They
have adjustments for sea state and wind - sort of dampening so the
unit doesn't swing wildly, but does change course when it needs to.
Mine has steered for long periods of time on Singlehanded Farallones
Races and long enough on in-Bay races for me to do the foredeck
spinnaker work when jibing.

Pat Broderick
ex-"Elaine" #245