[Santana 22] Anyone using an auto pilot?

Greg Biggers s22 at gregbiggers.com
Wed Jun 10 16:37:22 EDT 2009

Thanks for all the autopilot replies (and keep 'em coming if you've got
more).

Based on the review in this months' Practical Sailor and on Skip Allan's
single handed transpac endorsement, I had been looking at the Raymarine
ST1000+ (one can hope for an expensive Fathers Day present!). But Pat points
out that the one-up-from-lowest Simrad TP22 can respond to NMEA wind change
data. Is anyone using one of those?

I currently lack a windex and next time I work on the mast I will either add
a simple windex or _possibly_ (though may not be worth it) the new Garmin
wind instrument <https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=162&pID=15014> that
Ben over at panbo.com seems to like. If I did that, I wonder if that Simrad
would do better.

Overall, I tend to like simpler better. But anyone have experience to share
w/ a tiller pilot that responds to conditions?

Fun Zone Tom, when you say your 2000+ does poorly in high wind, what does
that look like?

Someone asked me to post the replies I got that did not go to the whole
list. I don't think anyone was sharing sensitive info, so here goes:
===

I think you would be just as happy with a tiller tamer
The auto pilot doesn't react fast enough for the quick steering of a Santana

Ron Posey
Hull # 28
===

I was crewing for Tom Montoya the other day and
noticed he had installed a tiller pilot for Meliki.  I am not sure the
make/model but he said it works great when singlehanding and was pretty
easy to install.  I also noticed that he has a very small battery so it
must be easy on the power consumption.

Adding a tiller pilot is on my list of upgrades for Maguro so it would
be good to hear what has worked for others.

Chuck

'Maguro' #158
===

I have a Raymarine 2000+ tillerpilot on my boat.  I use it mainly when I go
to the front of the boat or for hands free steering on the way to the race
course.  It is useable in light winds, marginal in medium winds and useless
in heavy winds.  Installation was straight forward and ony required  half a
day to complete.

If you sail on a lake you will get more use out of it than if you sail in
the ocean or the bay like I do.  I'd do it again but its not what I
expected.

Tom

#664  Fun Zone

===