[Santana 22] S22 Nationals - Thanks for a great weekend!

Leah Pepe ocean2sierras at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:02:40 EDT 2010

It was a fun weekend for sure!  Lots and lots of lessons learned on Kelly,
some we understand, some we don't yet!  Our third race on Saturday, was
amazing!  We worked together well, made good decisions and best of all, we
could almost see the sterns of the 5 finishers ahead of us!!  FUN STUFF!  We
were so excited!  My armpits start sweating as we get close to the marks,
especially when there are other boats around, but we didn't foul anyone,
almost, but we didn't - Horray!!

Questions we have as we continue to race ....... Where do we set the blocks
for these conditions?  When do we tack?  How much tension or not on the
backstay & halyards for conditions?  How do I get that funny wrinkle out of
my main sail?  How do I negotiate the chop and not loose five boat lengths?
Another tear in my  jib - more "tuition" to Pineapple Sails!  Geez.... so
much to learn and so much fun to be had!

Thank you to you all for a wonderfully fun weekend, we all know how much
goes into planning an event like this and how many bodies it takes to pull
it off successfully.  And thank you for all the sharing of knowledge,
stories and encouragement!  We won't be at the bottom of the fleet forever -
so watch out!!

Tackful and Kelly had quite an exhiliarating ride home to Sausalito!  31+
knots of wind through the slot & Yellow Bluff, battered and soaked!  We sure
love our Tuna's!!

See ya all out on the water!

~Leah
S/V Kelly Shawn
Sail # 38000

--
"Throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the.... winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."