[Santana 22] Question about carrying motors

antrim27 at aol.com antrim27 at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 19:53:51 EDT 2010

Fellow Tuna 22 racers,

A question has come up regarding caring motors while racing.  The following is copied from the rules:

"A motor, plus motor fuel and ballast, shall be carried to total not less than fifty (50)
lbs. nor more than one hundred twenty five (125) lbs. The motor and ballast shall be
secured in any location and cannot be moved during a race. Motor fuel, with the
exception of fuel in an outboard with integral fuel tank, shall not be carried inside
the cabin. (Revised July 1995)"

exception of fuel in an outboard with integral fuel tank, shall not be carried inside
the cabin. (Revised July 1995)"

the cabin. (Revised July 1995)"

I am not sure what the ballast part means.  Maybe someone that has been around awhile can shed some light on the ballast part.  The only additional ballast I am aware of is the following:

"A marine head or self contained head and/or ballast added nearby to result in a total
weight of not less than twenty (20) lbs. shall be carried under the forward berths in
the location where the head is normally installed. (changed 2004)"

It seems pretty clear to me that boats must carry a motor and fuel within the weight limits in the rule when racing.  Does anybody interpret the motor rule?

Tom Montoya
Fleet Captain 2010