[Santana 22] Any thoughts on light wind racing?

Keay Edwards keay at keay3.net
Mon Nov 15 01:52:55 EST 2010

Hello All,

I am looking for thoughts or a suggested tuning guide (maybe one can be developed because of this thread) for light wind sail trim for the S22?  I noted that Ulman sails has tuning guides for many boats, but not for the S22.

I am aware that light wind sailing is an art to itself and exposes weakness in sail trim in unforgiving ways, certainly my weakness has been exposed after a dismal showing at my first Mid winters race.

So, I had some general assumptions that may have been incorrect, but here are some of my basic attempts for dealing with light winds:

#1, release back stay tension

#2, slack off the outhaul.

#3, boom vang loose.

#4, try to keep the telltales on the main flying

#5, jib sheet track cars all the way forward.

Downwind I did Ok, main pushed out and we ran with spinnaker.  Beam to close reach seems to have been my biggest issue.  I had three crew, men likely 165 + each.  Not much in the boat, but left the motor on the transom (maybe not the smartest move).

Some things i am questioning are halyard tensions, crew weight placement, traveler placement (basically kept the boom in the middle when close hauled.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keay