[Santana 22] Fwd: RYC Sunday Pursuit Race

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Fri Oct 29 15:10:53 EDT 2010

Chris and Tom,

Sunday is a pursuit race.  You are racing again ALL of the other
boats sailing on Sunday.  Slow boats start first; fast boats last.
First boat back wins.  Get passed by a faster boat and you lose.

You can set up an informal race among the Tunas, but the results will
show your place in the entire fleet - all 150 or so boats.

Saturday is a different deal.  You'll be racing directly against the
other Tunas.  Since it's a one-design race, your PHRFs should match
up.  Everyone with chute, no chute, class jib, 155% - make the
choice.  Right now I see boats registered with PHRFs of 234/237/247.
If you're all using the same sails, the numbers should be the same.

Saturday races are short.  They'll set up a windward mark about .75
nm from the start line. Course #1 is 1.5 times around that - or about
2.25 nm.  Course #2 is 2.5 times around - or about 3.75 nm.  If the
length is different than .75 nm, then adjust accordingly. When I was
sailing "Eliane" in Pumpkin races on light days, the length was more
like .5 nm - so the races were about 1.5 or 2.5 nm.  Hardly time to
set and douse a chute!

The RYC RC wants you back at the club and since racing doesn't get
underway until 1130 and since there will be a huge number of starts,
they tend to err on the side of shortness.  The wind looks light, so
I have a feeling everyone will see Course #1 up a lot.

It really doesn't matter which sail combo the Tunas select.  You'll
probably have more fun winging out the class jibs - even if it's
slower.  Since you're sailing against each other everyone will be
equally slow.

Just remember to get back to the Starting Area quickly after races 1
and 2.  They'll start you on the next race as soon as you're mostly
all back near the committee boat. And, sometimes they won't  wait for
a straggler.  Pay attention to the signs/flags on the committee boat.

And, the RC may combine starts, so you're starting with another
division.  Watch for multiple division flags.

It's mostly for fun,

Pat