[Santana 22] Fleet racing 2012

Bill Murphy capnbill at lmi.net
Tue Jan 3 16:41:34 EST 2012

Derek, Anne-Carlijn asked if I could send a message to the list about
the 2012 schedule from the (hopefully outgoing) ODCA/YRA President’s
perspective.  I understand everyone’s disappointment about the schedule,
and would like to finish this note with a few options to improve the
2012 season.

YRA scheduling has been extremely difficult this year, due to a decrease
in the number of racers and trying to fit the schedule in with the
America’s Cup World Series activities in August and September.  The
number decrease is especially ominous, since it can lead to a ‘deadly
embrace’, where yacht clubs don’t want to send out a committee for a
small number of boats, which makes it harder to schedule more races,
which of course leads to fewer boats.  Yacht clubs are also suffering
the same economic problems that almost everyone else suffers, and would
rather run their own races in order to get the entry fees and especially
the bar and dinner income.

All that being the case, here are a few suggestions that might improve
the situation.  They assume that everyone signs up for both Party
Circuit and YRA schedules.

*         Make the second half opener race shorter and a white sails
race.  The fleet can decide whatever marks they want to round, while
maintaining the same start/finish line.  You could also specify a
different finish line and record your own finishes.  You would need to
notify the Encinal race committee that they needn’t finish the fleet at
the club – although they would be happier if they knew you were getting
together at the club after the race.
*         Piggy-back on the 8/25 and 9/14 WBRA races.  I have spoken
with Don Wilson, the past WBRA President, about this, and he sees no
problem with it.  He will notify the Race Committees (I think they are
both Sausalito races) to add starts for the Santana 22s.   Currently,
Don says that the WBRA fleets have two races scheduled each day.
*         If Berkeley is amenable, they might be willing to run two
short races on 5/19 if you use fixed marks.  The first race would have
to be short enough so you could get the second race off before any of
the finishers for the long race return.  I haven’t talked with anyone
from BYC about this, and think the request should come from the fleet.
Have your ducks in a row, and maybe even suggest the courses for the
races.

As always, YRA will transcribe race results from the relevant committee,
and use those for season championships if you wish.

Hopefully, these suggestions will help with a difficult situation.

Bill Murphy
ODCA President (looking for a successor)