[Santana 22] S22 Nationals

Bridget Binko bbinko at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 21 00:31:26 EDT 2012

Ahoy Santana sailors! Here’s a reminder that the NOR has been posted and registration is open for the 2012 Nationals that will be hosted by Fleet 9 and Santa Cruz Yacht Club on July 27-29. We’ve ordered excellent racing conditions for the Monterey Bay, and look forward to hosting you at our newly remodeled clubhouse. There will be 1st through 5th place trophies, T shirts, Saturday night dinner, live band and dancing, tram rides (assuming installation is completed by late July), and more fun happenings. You’ll find the information you need at www.scyc.org, including hotel suggestions within the Visitors tab. Registration is $100 before July 1st, and $125 thereafter.

The class Rules stipulate that the driver in the Nationals be a bona fide owner, but in 2008 the fleets approved a petition process for non-owner-drivers to gain approval to compete. The approved text for the petition process for a non-owner-driver has not yet been added to the current version of the Rules, but is as follows:

The driver is sponsored by an Active Member of the class and their participation is unanimously approved by the fleet captains of the participating fleets. Sponsorship and submission for approval should occur no less than 45 days before the start of the regatta. A decision by the fleet captains should be communicated to the sponsee and other potential competitors within 15 days of the submission.

We’re within the 45 day window before the start of the regatta, so if there are any non-owners who wish to compete as drivers they should submit their request, including a current sailing/racing resume, ASAP. Russell Coutts and Jimmy Spithill need not apply!

Fleet 9 and SCYC are looking forward to seeing you at this year’s Nationals! Be sure to register soon!

Bridget Binko
Fleet 9, Gypsy #243
bbinko at yahoo.com

Mary Larkin