[Santana 22] #707 for sale in Virginia Beach, VA

Claude Nix claude at seadated.com
Mon May 7 14:57:01 EDT 2012

Hey Folks,

I owned a couple of tunas while living in San Francisco over the last
couple of years. I recently moved to Virginia Beach, VA and I stumbled
across what I believe is a 1976 S22 #707 (if I read the hull number right).
A couple of kids bought it from a guy for $500 last summer. They didn't
know what they were getting into, and the boat is certainly not right for
them. I just finished looking at it. Here's the deal:

The good:
- Solid deck
- Good mast & boom
- Newer headstay and shrouds
- Good bulkheads & mast beam
- Original gelcoat in good condition
- Has a large forward hatch on the foredeck. Looked original, but I've
never seen one on a tuna before

The bad
- Needs sails (has a main, but it's rubbish. No headsails)
- Needs a bottom job
- Keel bolts are rusty (not totally shot, but not pretty)
- Needs a backstay
- The lowers, not original are the same size as the uppers and should be
replaced
- Needs a rubrail
- Needs a new traveller and main sheet blocks
- Interior needs cosmetic work

All in all, I think she's a good candidate for a restoration. I've
currently got another project on my hands, and won't be interested in
picking this one up, so I figured I'd pass the word along to the fleet. I
know these boats are rare on the east coast, so this could be a great find
for someone with interest in tunas that doesn't have access to the west
coast market. I've included a link to the craigslist ad. They bought a
motor for it, but it's not at all right for the boat. (A 15hp Evinrude
short shaft) I told them they should sell the motor separately, but the
price in their ad includes the motor.

Spread the word, and let's hope we can see this old girl sailing again!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2993008508.html

- Claude Nix