[Santana 22] Island Yacht Club Women's Sailing Seminar - Sunday, September 23rd - Tuna's Needed!!

Leah Pepe ocean2sierras at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:50:16 EDT 2012

Hey Bay Area Tunas

The Island Yacht Club is having their annual Women's Sailing Seminar the
weekend of September 22 & 23rd.  http://www.iyc.org/

The women spend Saturday learning the basics of sailing and attend
seminars..... check the webiste for more information on the courses
offered.  On Sunday, it's a day of casual racing on the Estuary or a day
sail on the bay. The Estuary Race is an easy upwind/down wind course.Tuna's
are the boat of choice for the on the water experience - and we all know
why - they are great boats to learn on and fun.  As a fleet, we have
supported this seminar in the true Tuna Fashion!

The seminar has a good number of women that have signed up for both days
which is very exciting!  IYC has enough Tuna's/instructors signed up for
Sunday to accomodate the current registration numbers .... but there are
always last minute sign ups and it'll be nice to have at least three more
boats signed up and at the docks just in case!  It would be nice that the
owner is on board for the race as the instructor.  It's preferred to have
women instructors/owners, but if there is a male owner on board, he has to
promise to be quite and let the women instruct  : )

On board, there is usually the owner/instructor and no more than three
students.  It's a very fun day on the estuary!  I've been doing this for
about 5 years now.  Highest on the list for the day is fun and experience
for the new women sailors!  NOT highly competitive, NO stress, NO yelling,
NO boat contact - BUT lots of smiles!!  The start sequence is enough for
students to absorb.  There are usually three races, and I like to
rotate positions for each race....  so everyone has a chance to drive, set
the pole and grind a jib.

Skippers meeting is at 10 AM - then after packing your lunch, which is
provided, we head on down to the boats to rig and off to the races  : )

This really is a very fun day for both the women and rewarding for boat
owners to share their excitement and experience!

I hope to see some of you next weekend!  Let me know if you can make it!!!

~Leah

PS - sailing in the Estuary - NO foulies, NO seven layers of clothing  NO
need for a beanie - you will need lots of sunscreen, sunglasses, shorts and
light jacket

--
"Throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the.... winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."