[Santana 22] ALERT: Forestay Fitting Failure

Frank Lawler tackful at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:09:20 EDT 2013

Tackful's forestay fitting broke on our way home after racing on Saturday. Fortunately the jib was up and held the mast in place until I could rig additional support.  The forestay tang broke where it joins the well-supported base, which must be the point where metal fatigue cause by 25 years of hard sailing is concentrated. I suppose that a stress crack developed, after which internal corrosion led to eventual failure.  Not all our boats have a forestay fitting with an extended tang like Tackful's, but those that do may merit close examination.  Frank LawlerTackful