Race Officers Courses

Christine Short shortchristine at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:01:27 EDT 2012

Hi Sailor;

As the 2012 sailing season is almost upon us, I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your support of a training initiative of the Canadian Albacore Association.  Last year we held two race committee clinics for the Assistant Race Officer and will be hosting more clinics at the Beginner and Intermediate level this year.  We believe offering these training opportunities are very important for the class

Why should you support the race committee clinics?

1) Reduce boat damage during racing.
Proper race management can prevent many collisions that happen during racing.  Setting starting lines of appropriate length for the number of boats racing and creating square start lines will reduce instances of crowding and concentration of boats.  As well, setting proper course lengths (especially first windward legs) will help to avoid congregation at marks.  Less boat damage means increased lifespan for your Albacore.

2) Better quality racing
The Albacore class offers a unique opportunity for frequent racing in a consistently sizeable one-design fleet probably not found anywhere else.  The racing aspect of the class is a huge draw when promoting the Albacore and racing keeps many boats and sailors active in the class.  Providing better quality racing delivered by knowledgeable race committees will only strengthen this appeal.
.
3) Another way to get involved
Get involved with race committee work!  It gets you out on the water, volunteering at your club and offers a great “après volunteering” social scene.  New members getting involved with race committee can learn more about sailing by watching more experienced sailors and they can practice skills learned.

The CAA would like to offer Members who are interested in being involved with race committee duties and who would like to take these courses, we will subsidize your participation in the Assistant Race Officer and Club Race Officer clinics being offered on May 5th (CAA Day) and May 6th in the Outer Harbour.

Saturday, May 5th

Assistant Race Officer (Level I)  9-12:30pm

Club Race Officer (Level 2)
12-:30 – 5pm Saturday + 9am – 3pm Sunday May 6th
(Level 1 is required)

These 2 valuable courses are $45.+ HST.  Upon completion of these courses the CAA will subsidize you for $15.00.

You do not have to take both, but there is better value in taking both.

Registration and course details can be found here:

Level 1 & 2: https://www.ontariosailing.ca/application/index.php?action=osarc.view&osarc_form_id=173

We look forward to your support in this endeavor.

Darren Monster
CAA Training Officer
albacore7363 at hotmail.ca