Sail for a friend with AML at the US MidAtlantics - even if you don't sail or can't make it

Michael Heinsdorf mheinsdorf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:02:17 EDT 2012

Dear Friends,

Last month, Tammy Beltle, a friend who I’ve sailed with quite a bit over
the past couple of years, was diagnosed with *AML Leukemia*. More
information can be found here: *
http://the-road-less-traveled.net/albacore-mid-atlantics-nor/*<http://the-road-less-traveled.net/albacore-mid-atlantics-nor/>

Many of you in the Albacore class know Tammy for her enthusiasm and zest
for life. I can personally vouch for this – she took the plunge to sail
with me after a year hiatus from sailing, in a brand new boat that I had
only sailed once before in Albacore Internationals last year. Who else
would take that chance?  And who else would be irritated that the video
camera didn’t work the last day we went sailing, in 20-knot breeze with 5
foot rollers on Lake Ontario?

Tammy began chemotherapy almost immediately after being diagnosed and is
slowly on the mend. There is no doubt in my mind that she is a survivor and
will pull through this.

But survivors also have to pay bills. And in addition to being a sailor,
she’s also a working Mom with two young children. Chemotherapy, child care,
missed time at work – all of these add up. To help defray some of the cost,
the Monmouth Sailing Club in beautiful Monmouth, New Jersy has made the *2012
United States Albacore Association Mid-Atlantics* on *May 19-20* *a
fundraiser for Tammy*. All of the proceeds, except for fees associated with
Paypal, will go to Tammy.

If you can’t make the regatta or don't sail, we've got you covered. There
will be a *Virtual Regatta *run by Gene Spillane's daughters, who will run
a virtual race (drawing) in conjunction with every actual race. You can
enter the Virtual Regatta for a $50 entry fee (though we'll take the $80).

The goal is modest - only 1,000 USD. You can donate and follow Tammy's
blog here: *http://the-road-less-traveled.net/albacore-mid-atlantics-nor/*<http://the-road-less-traveled.net/albacore-mid-atlantics-nor/>(click
on
*Albacore Mid-Atlantics*, enter the password "albacore" and* *click *Donate
to Team Tammy *which leads to a paypal link). The NOR is on her website.
Respond to this email with the name of your boat and crew.

See you on the water!

~Michael

--
Michael A. Heinsdorf