Vanguard Sailors -- please secure your forestays

eric raffini eric.raffini at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:22:37 EDT 2012

Folks,

I just wanted to send a follow-up reminder regarding the tragic
incident that occurred at TISC earlier this summer. I think most of
you are aware that back in June, an unsecured Vanguard mast fell on
top of one of TISC's instructors. It was a pretty freak accident, but
inflicted some serious damage.  So, I just wanted to post a reminder
to ask you all to double-check that your forestays are tied well
-especially as we go into the winter season.   You may also want to
also consider adding a bungy cord that will act as a safety in case
the knot comes loose when the jib is taught.

Also, there are a lot of Vanguards sitting at TISC that are rarely
getting sailed. Please help us out by taking a look at your neighbor's
boat from time to time to ensure that their forestay's are also tied
down.

A few other reminders:

1) Just 4 weeks left !  Turn-out the last few weeks has been pretty
light -- we've been managing to get only a dozen boats on the starting
line. In face, one week, there were more lasers on the water than
Vanguards.  Please, let's get these boats on the water. More boats =
better fleet racing. If you are going to be out for a week, please try
and find a guest skipper to sail your boat (as long at they have
completed their medical/liability waivers).

2) Tamales Bay fleet championships are  Oct. 13 and 14th... Add it to
your calendar.

3) Team Racing is still going strong -- thus make the most of your
season and get out on the water twice a week.

4) End of the Season party -- will probably occur sometime in late
October or early November.  Last year we had the party at South Beach
Yacht Club. If you have any thoughts or ideas about this (or want to
help out), give me a shout.

See you on the water,

-Eric