Weekend update

Al Sargent asargent at stanfordalumni.org
Sun May 31 18:30:43 EDT 2015

Probably less entertaining that that
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_Update> weekend update, but here
goes...

Last Thursday featured some great sailing, with our first windy day of the
season. Congrats to everyone for zero capsizes, although Michelle did try
her hand at singlehanding without a rudder or daggerboard after racing.
(Someone dropped her bowline; name withheld to protect the guilty.) Luckily
our PRO Connor and Maddy both drove up and towed her in. Thanks TISC for
always having a second boat at the ready.

Special shout-out to Justin Foox and his 12 year old son William who came
in third for the night. Rumor has it William was elbowing his dad to get
him to hike out more. William was hiking like an animal, apparently
practicing his form for the upcoming Opti Heavy Weather regatta on the
cityfront.

More shout-outs to Svendsen's for the great prizes and the beers. And to
Connor for taking the bull by the horns to fix our Ollie Box by calling
Ollie himself (his phone number is right on the box). Conor got the advice
to wash out the horns. He did, and we had an entire night of gloriously
audible beeps the entire windy night.

Results here <http://vanguard15.org/schedule/846>.

Sign up for this upcoming week here <http://vanguard15.org/schedule/846>.
And if you can't make it, email some folks and offer them your boat!

Best regards,

Al

P.S. A couple of things we did this past week that seemed to work:

1. Rake: we were heavily raked back: 20’ 11.25" from masthead to transom.
That's number 1, if your shrouds are at 14 feet, 0.75 inches per this
article
<https://medium.com/@alsargent/top-5-vanguard-15-rigging-tips-a479794689c8?source=most-recommended>.
I know at least one other boat was at 21' 3"... those extra 4" make a
difference in terms of keeping the boat on its feet.

2. Jibsheet: all the way, until you have to rag your main completely to
keep boat flat when fully hiked. At that point, ease your jibsheet ever so
slightly, maybe half an inch. The boat should pop up onto a plane upwind
and add a knot or so of speed. Awesome feeling!

3. Starting technique: really fast to get close to the line at 10 seconds
to the start, hold it there, then bear off at 5 seconds (space allowing) to
pop the boat onto a plane. Sheet in a bit a two seconds to make the helm
load up, then steer up at one second to pop out across the line.

Hope this helps!

asargent at stanfordalumni.org | +1 415 742 1430