[Santana 22] Fleet 1: CityFront report, and musings on race participation

Bill Murphy capnbill at lmi.net
Sun Aug 26 23:01:02 EDT 2007

Jan, thanks for the report.  From the back of the fleet it's nice to
hear what's happening at the front.  I've worked up a spreadsheet of
the participation rates of all the ODCA fleets, and will send it out
after the official results are in from the City Front race.  I'm not
sure whether we are counting three or four races for the season
closer, and that will make a difference in the total race count for
qualifying the fleet.  Unlike Vallejo and the Second Half Opener,
which don't count for qualifying our fleet, the Season Closer will
count since it is a white sails race.  If you count races through the
South Bay race on August 18th, we have four boats qualifying.  For
the entire season so far, it looks like Tackful, Cloud 9, and
Tchoupitoulas have already qualified for the full season even if they
don't race another race.  Poniente is right up there, depending on
whether we have three races or four at the season closer.  Thank you
Frank and Kathy, Jim, Stephen and Chris, and Javier!

As far as the rest of the fleet goes, Usquebaugh, Bonito, and Auggie
are mathematically out of qualifying.  Pat can qualify Elaine without
racing all the races at the Season Closer, and I think the rest
(Carlos, Maguro, and Inshallah) can qualify if they race all the
races of the closer.

These figures are tentative.  Please feel free to correct me if you
see something I don't.

For next year, we should realize that a fleet doesn't have to select
all the race days available on the ODCA schedule.  You are counted
for qualifying depending on how many you choose, so there is an
option to race just a few of the days.  I would strongly suggest, for
example, that we don't pick a race day near the Nationals if we
discover a lot of boats and/or crew will be going to Santa Cruz.