[Santana 22] Fleet 1: CityFront report, and musings on race participation

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Mon Aug 27 00:22:22 EDT 2007

Bill and Santana Fleet #1,

YRA requires that ODCA Fleets sail 5 racing days and at least 1 race
each day during the Summer Season (that's a 5-race minimum on 5
different days).  It's up to each ODCA Fleet to decide how many many
total days of racing and how many races per day.  YRA worked hard
with the Newport 30/Cat 30/Ranger 29 fleets to keep them active, and
when it became apparent they would not survive as individual fleets,
YRA created the SF 180 Division so they could compete in ODCA
racing.  YRA want to keep its ODCA Fleets "active" and alive!

ODCA Fleets may also sail HDA races.  They may count these as
fulfilling both their day and race requirements, if that date counts
toward the fleet's championship.  Some ODCA Fleets do this.

It's up to each ODCA Fleet to decide which of the ODCA/HDA races are
"counters" for the Season Championship.  Some fleets count all race
days/races. Some fleets count fewer.  It's up to the Fleet.  But,
they need to inform the YRA Office (and ODCA President) which races
are "counters" and which are not. Yes, ODCA Fleets may sail races
that don't "count."

So, the Santana Fleet could cut back on the number of races it wants
counted.  Probably not a good idea to wait until the end of the
season to do this, since it should have been done prior to the season
beginning, but if the fleets acts quickly, I think it could be done
this year.  I think I can safely say YRA would listen if the Santana
Fleet got together and decided it didn't need to "count" all the
possible white sail race dates in 2007.  For the Santanas that's all
the ODCA two-race dates on Bill's list below.

About the ODCA Season Closer (in response to Jan).  Saturday, Sept. 8
is a regular ODCA 2-race day using the Knox Courses, with one
variation: Race #2 Finishes back in Front of the CYC Clubhouse.  This
is so the Finish area is clear for the returning HDA Knox-Bonita
racers AND because we're encouraging fleets to stay overnight at the
CYC.

Sunday, Sept. 9 provides 2 ODCA races with temp buoys out near S.
Hampton.  YRA/ODCA is inviting fleets to overnight at the CYC
(similar to Vallejo) and then race 1 or 2 races on Sunday at S.
Hampton on their way home.

For the ODCA Closer Weekend, the Santana 22 Fleet could count both
days/ it could count 4, or 3, or 1 races/ it could count only 1 day =
2 races/it could count only 1 race on 1 day/it could count only 1
race on Sunday.  The variations are wide.  That's up to the fleet.

Someone has to make up the Fleet's mind about what the fleet wants to
do.  It's clear from Bill's statistics that what's going on now isn't
working.

year. Understand that ALL PC races are actually HDA long distance,
point to point races:  (1) Vallejo 1, (2) Vallejo 2, (3) Sailstice,
(4) 2nd Half Opener, (5) [this year 2nd Half Opener Sunday, but that
isn't happening next year, so probably the PC will sail the Sept.
Knox/Bonita and end up back at the CYC -- or some other long distance
HDA race].  I don't think 22 mile races will encourage anyone to come
out who isn't sailing these races already, especially if they don't
own a spinnaker (as several Santana Feet #1 boats don't).

So, my bottom line as both Santana 22 Fleet member and YRA Chairman
is that the fleet's got to get its act together and decided what it
wants to do.  My strong suggestion is to cut back on the total number
of while sail racing days that are counted toward the YRA
Championship. Then figure out a way to get boats registered out.

ODCA Fleets that fail to "qualify" 5 boats are put on probation for
one year. If they "qualify" 5 or more boats the next year they are
reinstated. If they fail again, any boats from that fleet that wish
to sail YRA races must register and sail in one of the HDA Divisions.
If they then "qualify" 5 boats, they may request to rejoin ODCA.

If the total number of races did not include all possible dates, it
would probably be easier for the fleet to "qualify" 5 boats.  Look at
Bill's chart.

Please get back to me if you don't understand all/part of this.

Pat Broderick
"Elaine" #245/Sail 38000
Yacht Racing Association of Northern California Chairman