[Santana 22] crystal stuff in bilge/ steel primer

tmc664 at comcast.net tmc664 at comcast.net
Tue May 1 22:55:31 EDT 2007

Hi all,
After almost 4 years Fun Zone is getting some bottom paint.  She's on the hard awaiting better weather so I pulled the floorboards and did a little wipe down and clean up.  There were a lot of clear crystals that looked like salt.   Could this be?  The boat doesn't leak in the keel area so I'm dumbfounded. Last checked 6 or 8 months ago, no crystal like stuff then.
I want to get a couple of good coats of paint on the bottom of the keel (underside).  Its way trashed and rusty so I'm looking for a good primer so that multiple coats of paint will stick and inhibit rust.  Has anyone used Pettit Rustblock Steel Primer?  good,bad or ugly?  I'm  not interested in epoxying and fairing the keel at this point.
thanks in advance
Tom