[Santana 22] kevlar Tape Drive sail

Ted Crum tedcrum at socrates.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 27 01:44:09 EST 2007

I think the reason for the changes is to "harmonize" non-ODCA racing with PHRF.

The first change in that direction was to change the Genoa from 150%
to 155% to match PHRF.  PHRF chose that number so that cotton canvas
sails cut to 150% would not be out of measure after they had
stretched. With stretchless synthetics, sails for PHRF were cut to
155 to begin with. It seemed a waste to have a 150 for class and a
155 for PHRF, so the class caught up and harmonized.

Since PHRF does not limit fabrics, we would have again been faced
with having a Dacron 155 for class and a high-tech 155 for PHRF. So
the class harmonized. When the rule was passed, sail experts in SODA
said the added cost would be nearly paid back in added lifetime.

I'm in favor of harmonizing. When an Estuary beercan SI says that
Class rules apply, there is seldom a ruling from the class as to what
sails to use; everybody just breaks out the Genoas, same as PHRF. And
if there are not enough Tunas on the line we may end up in a PHRF
division anyway.

-tc