[Santana 22] Pumpkin races Saturday

Jan Grygier and Patti Boucher hydrophilos at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 01:22:25 EDT 2007

Yup, as usual the Great Pumpkin provided some interesting sailing and lessons for all of us.  Our lesson on Betty Boop was mainly to check all the spinnaker lines twice before attempting to hoist, we might have got a first in the first race if the spin halyard hadn't been wrapped around the forestay and jib halyard.

The lesson for Bonito and some others was (almost) always go right in a big ebb on the Southampton course, because you get lots of tide with you upwind and less tide against you (and usually more wind) going back down.  That plan only seemed to fail once, on the first beat of the second race when Bill got to the top mark first.  But we were sure whooping it up coming in first overall with our old Shore sails and relatively new-to-the-boat crew.  Betty and Don were floating on air for a while.

BTW Sally, if we had had a 155 on board we would have had it up all the time too, it would only have been marginal once or twice near the top mark going to windward, and if you feel overpowered you just pinch and let down the main traveller with a tighter outhaul (having just the 125, our traveller was up all day).

Jan Grygier
Carlos/Betty Boop