[Santana 22] Late, but worthy

Sally Richards sally at pineapplesails.com
Sun Sep 30 19:03:08 EDT 2007

Hello, all.  Some time ago I asked if some of theTunas would be willing
to participate in Island Yacht Club's Women's Sailing Seminar on Sunday
the 7th of October.  The seminar holds classes on Saturday, but offers
the participants the option of signing up for Sunday as well and either
cruising out onto the Bay to practice what they learned or race in the
Estuary.  The boat of choice for the racing is the Santana and, as you
all know, one-design racing provides the best learning experience.

Sign-ups have been slow to come in and for awhile there was talk of
cancelling the seminar.  But, typically, there has been a flurry of last
minute activity and most of the participants have signed up for both
days. The organizers are asking for a total of 5 boats.   The day comes
with lunch and an on-board instructor.  A race committee will be on the
dock in front of the club and marks will either be inflatables, fixed
Estuary marks or both.

I don't have exact times as yet, but there will be a skippers meeting
and then the racing.  We have usually encouraged the owners to let the
women rig the boat if possible.

I know a few of you have committed, but we would appreciate a few more.
Given the gentle conditions in the Estuary, spinnakers would be welcome,
but if we can only get mostly non-spinnaker boats, we'll race that way.

Please let me know if you can help.  It is a most rewarding experience,
believe me.

Sally
510-522-2200
510-522-7700 fax