[Santana 22] looking for winches or winch parts

Nancy & Pat Broderick broderic at sonic.net
Tue Sep 25 12:38:02 EDT 2007

Kevin,

Barient went under years ago, but you can still purchase pawls and
springs at West Marine.  They cost more than a Barient winch cost
when new all those years ago, however!  I had a variety of Barients
on my Newport 30 (including 5 #10s) so I know.

It sounds like the #10 might need a good cleaning.  The traditional
method is a bath in some solvent - kerosene, paint thinner, etc.  The
bearings (really pins and holes) at the end of all the rollers in the
"bird cage" get gunked up.  That part of the roller bearing cage is
hard to clean and you really can't see into it.

I'd think about removing the winch and dousing everything.  Roll the
rollers in the bath.  A toothbrush helps.

But if it's sticking under load you might suspect a pawl or spring.
On the #10 (which has 2 pawls), you might try removing one and giving
the winch a practice try.  If it still sticks, take that pawl out and
put the other in.  You might find one is sticking.

You don't say whether its a stainless or aluminum winch.  If it's
aluminum, and it's been well-used over the years, there's a chance
the pawl socket has become worn.  This happened on my Meissener
(German) winches on my Tuna (they're almost, but not quite, Barient
duplicates).  The drums on my winches are an aluminum alloy and the
sockets were worn so badly the pawls would fall out and jam the
winch.  I had new sockets bored at 90º from the original pair.  Cost
$20.00  -- $10.00 per winch -- and it's worked like a charm.  Any
competent machine shop or garage mechanic can do it.  The new sockets
are not anodized, so I make sure to keep them lubricated regularly --
very regularly.

Use grease designed for winches in the roller cage and lubricant
designed for pawls there.  Salt water and axle grease, or most
anything else off the automotive shelf at Checkers or Pep Boys is a
formula for wax.  I'm also not a big fan of squirting WD-40 into the
winch unless you're halfway to the Farallones or something.  A good
cleaning is best.

I don't know what you mean by "bearings gone" on the #8.  But I do
know you probably won't find a new replacement and fabricating one is
probably not possible.  Haunting marine flea markets might bag a #8,
but that's a long shot.  I suppose you've tried the various websites
and Googled.

Pat
"Elaine" #245