[Santana 22] Santana 22 Race Clinic and Cruise In at Encinal Yacht Club

Michael Andrews Michael.Andrews at portsamerica.com
Mon Apr 7 21:09:04 EDT 2008

Fellow Santana 22 sailors, all is on for this Saturday, April 13 at
Encinal Yacht Club.

I propose that we gather at 10:30 and begin with a "chalk talk" at 11:00
in the Regatta Room downstairs.  The talk will be lead by me; I
anticipate there being input from Jan Grygier, Pat Broderick and other
experienced sailors from our fleet.  Among the topics we may discuss
are:  starting strategies, choosing a path around a course and
optimizing sail and boat trim.  The discussion will be tailored to the
audience's interest and skill level.

Plan thereafter will be to break from 12:00 to 13:00 for lunch.
Participants may choose to dine upstairs in the Club's dining room or
aboard their yachts on gourmet fare brought from home or the deli
visited on the way to EYC.

The Club will be providing a dinghy style race committee.  They have
agreed to set up a starting line and windward and leeward marks for us,
and run numerous short races; perhaps as many as five or six.  In the
interest of time, a dinghy style air horn starting system and three
minute sequence will be used.  The committee has been briefed and will
expect and allow time for crews members to be switched between boats,
between races.  The plan being that mentors will race one or two races
on a boat and then rotate.

The Club's Port Captain has green lighted boats staying the night,
subsequent to the clinic.  Visiting boats' crews may use the facilities
(restrooms / showers, bar, dinning room etcetera Saturday night and
Sunday.

For planning purposes, please reply to me by e-mail and let me know that
your coming and, whether you are coming on a boat as part of a crew or
by land yacht to participate.

Looking forward to seeing many of you then.

Michael Andrews
811 Bonito