[Santana 22] Standing Rigging - and update on winter party

Jan Grygier hydrophilos at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 6 22:38:59 EST 2008

Hi Derek, you have a few questions, here are my stabs at answering them.

First, Michael Andrews and I have apparently discovered that the optimum
forestay length is halfway between the "old" maximum and the "new, extended
maximum" - which I think works out to 26' 10.5".  But if Steve is going to
make it up for you, just tell him to make it so it can be extended out to
the current legal max (27' I think) with plenty of room to tighten, and
you'll be good to go.  And make sure you get an adjustable backstay, you
want to let it out a LOT downwind, especially when going wing on wing (but
pull it in when big waves come or when jybing).

The easiest way to lower a mast is with the help of a crane, so with the
boat in the water.  (If you don't have a crane, do it on the hard for
stability, but by definition I guess you DO have a crane...) just make sure
the shrouds you undo are downwind. (Whoever helps you will tell you why.)
With a crane, make a loop maybe 5' long and put it around the inners (i.e.
between the inners and outers) and hook on the crane, then lift up the loop
till the rope gets to the spreaders to take the load.  (lowering without a
crane isn't too bad with at least 3, pref 4 people; raising is harder but
still OK with 4 - then you need the long loop so you can disentagle the rope
from the spreaders after the mast is back up).

Don't ask me how old my standing rigging is, let's just say Steve Seals
asked me whether I had insurance a few years ago.  Maybe I'll change them
out this spring if the stock market starts recovering a bit.

Too bad we won't see Aquila out there tomorrow - I'm crewing with Frank and
Cathy, my own crew being absent.  Maybe you can hop on another boat too?

Jan "Carlos" Grygier, PhD
hydrophilos at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~hydrophilos/spigot.html

So now about that party - I had a few offers to help some, but the small
response told me most folks are busy with other things, so we'll try for
late January or February.  Offers of help to organize it still welcome.