[Santana 22] Standing Rigging

Derek Meyer djmeyer16 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 20:30:33 EST 2008

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm just going to replace to forestay and backstay so that I don't need to think about it for another 7 years.  It has been 6+ years since the previous owner did the standing rigging so I was expecting this (just not quite this soon).  And honestly, Seals Spars are less than I was expecting to pay for the forestay and backstay (although the shrouds cost more than I expected).

Also, I appreciate the compliment on the deck.  It took a lot of work!  Now I just have the top of the doghouse and cockpit to do, which seems like it may take the rest of my natural life.

As for helping me lower the mast, that I would greatly appreciate, not only for the extra manpower but also some guidance from someone with some experience removing masts (the largest mast I ever took down was probably on a Laser!)

So anyway, I'm planning on getting this done asap (like I'll call on Monday and order the parts) because I am planning on pulling the boat between Christmas and New Years to do the bottom.  I'm picking up the Keel Templates from Arjan on Monday.

Which actually brings me to a question: would you pull the most with the boat in the water or on the hard?  I.e. is one easier than the other?  How hard is it to lower the mast?

Thanks,
Derek