[Santana 22] Benefit concert for the Marin Sailing School's Program for the Blind

javier jerez javier_jerez at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 14:08:02 EST 2008

Hello fellow Santana 22 fleet members and sailors,

I want to let you know about a special program that I have been involved with and have helped support for the past year: the Marin Sailing School’s Program for the Blind. The Program for the Blind started as a casual effort to teach some sailing fundamentals to a couple of visually impaired students and has developed into a little cause, with some momentum, and a life of its own. Starting with the introductory course on sailing fundamentals, each and every one of the students has arrived at the dock with an infectious enthusiasm and a spirit of sportsmanship. The smiles, the laughter, and an occasional yee-ha while we’re out there in the big blow on San Francisco Bay is priceless. For many, this is the first time on a sailboat and to see them adapt and enjoy the new sensations and environment is truly rewarding. As sailors always do, each of these folks has allowed us to exchange the gift of friendship as we share a little time at sea. And as has
 happened to many of us, some of our students have caught the racing bug. I’ve had the pleasure of helping to bring a couple of complete neophytes “up to speed” on our favorite Gary Mull design, the venerable Tuna. And frankly it has been an incredible inspiration to myself and others. At a jaw-dropping pace, Phil Kum and Walt Raineri have learned to command the vessel around the buoys and in tight quarters. The team’s participation this past August at the 2008 U.S. Blind Sailing National Championships in Newport, Rhode Island on J22’s was rather fantastic. Did they win? Well, no. But for first-timers at the national level, their being there to compete was not too shabby. Better yet, along with two veteran blind sailing teams from Boston, these racers representing California are part of Team USA: 12 sailors who, under the leadership of blind sailing icon Arthur O’Neill, will compete this March at the 2009 Blind Sailing World Championships at
 Lake Rotorua, New Zealand (www.blindsailing.org).

So, on several fronts, the program is growing and has an ambitious plan for 2009: another 15-18 students for the introductory sailing course, sending our racing team to the World Championships, and hopefully sending two full racing teams to the 2009 U.S. Nationals at Newport in August. Your support will be instrumental in helping us reach these goals. Rather literally, you will help keep the Program for the Blind afloat. To that, we’re having a little party next month- and it’d sure be great if you can attend. It’s a benefit concert by Blame Sally on the 23rd at the Presidio Yacht Club, situated just inside the Golden Gate in Marin County. The venue and the entertainment couldn’t be better. Here are the details…. Marin Sailing School Program for the Blind 2009 Benefit Concert Featuring San Francisco-based recording artists Blame Sally (www.BlameSally.com) Friday, January 23, 2009 6:30 pm – 11:00 pm Presidio Yacht Club Horseshoe Cove, Fort
 Baker Sausalito, California (www.presidioyachtclub.org) Cocktails and Hors d’oeuvres 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm Concert Immediately Following $75.00 Tax Deductible Donation per person If you can join us at this concert to celebrate our cause, please simply reply to my email, javier_jerez at yahoo.com or just give me a call at 415.200.8190. I’ll then let you know how to make your $75 per ticket donation (it’s easy). Great if you could let me know as soon as possible. Thank you, thank you. Your help means a lot to our guys. Fair winds, calm seas. Javier Jerez