[Santana 22] Dry Storage

Derek Meyer djmeyer16 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 23:18:07 EST 2008

Hey Pat,
I called Schoonmaker on Wednesday and the receptionist said that the Harbor Master would have to call me back, as she did not know those sorts of details.  On Thursday I called again and left a message.  On Friday I called yet again and this time got to talk to the assistant Harbor Master who said that they don't have any room for a boat that big.  Honestly, he did not sound very convincing.  Furthermore, I was thoroughly un-impressed with the customer service, and honestly would have mentioned it if they weren't the only gig in town.

Anyway, that idea is beginning to look more and more dead as we speak.  I talked to the Harbormaster at SFYC and he said he was going to make some phone calls about getting me a spot in Sausalito; we'll see.

I also talked to the RYC harbormaster who said a spot is opening up in January, but as a non-member I could be booted at any time if a member needed a spot.  I could of course join the club (where I was a member for many years as a junior), but honestly I need another yacht club membership like I need a hole in the head!

Anyway, because it looks like it could be some time before I make the jump to dry sailing, I have to pull the boat and do the bottom.  Where should I pull the boat?  I was thinking Anderson's but they don;t allow any sanding or strippers.  I was planning on using the Franmar Soy stripper, grinding/fairing the keel, then painting a couple of coats of Petit Trinidad SR.

Any critiques on my current plan are welcome,as well as DIY boatyard recommendations.  I'm currently thinking Bay Marine in Richmond.  Thanks!

-Derek